Blydenburgh Lake, Smithtown
Blydenburgh Lake, also known as Stump, New Mill or Weld's Pond, is located within Blydenburgh County Park in Smithtown. Fed by the headwaters of the Nissequogue River, it is one of the least developed and most picturesque ponds on Long Island.
Blydenburgh Lake contains a variety of fish species, but is best known for its largemouth bass. Bass fishing has been consistently good over the years with volunteer angler diary cooperators reporting catch rates between 0.4 and 1 bass per hour. Fishing for perch and sunfish is also excellent.
The shoreline of Blydenburgh Lake is a well balanced mix of undisturbed fish habitat and access points for shore based anglers. Wading along the shoreline is possible, but there are many hidden submerged stumps and logs that can make wading difficult. Boat may be rented from Suffolk County Parks during summer months.
Area: 100 acres
Maximum depth: 8 feet
Species Present (naturally reproducing):
Suffolk County Park. A Suffolk County Green Key is required for entry into the park and a seasonal parking fee may apply.
For more information call Blydenburgh County Park at (631) 854-3713 or go to Suffolk County Parks' web site: www.co.suffolk.ny.us/exec/parks/. Access to the lake is via many dirt footpaths located around the perimeter of the lake.
Directions: There are two entrances to the park. The main entrance is off of 454 (Veterans Highway) across from the Denison Building in Hauppague and the other is off of New Mill Road just south of Jericho Turnpike (Route 25) in Smithtown.
Restrictions: Although private boats are prohibited, the park does rent rowboats seasonally, usually from Memorial Day through Labor Day, call the park for further details. Additionally shoreline access is available and wading is permitted. The park is closed from dawn to dusk.
No specific advisory.
Sweetwater Angler Profile of Blydenburgh Lake (Fall/Winter 2003)
Inside 627 acre Blydenburgh County Park lies Blydenburgh Lake a lake formed by a dam across the Nissequogue River. Other names for the lake include Stump Pond, Weld Pond or New Mill Pond. This 100 acre lake is a popular hotspot for largemouth bass, bluegill, pumpkinseed and yellow perch fishing. Blydenburgh Lake has a history of producing trophy largemouth bass, and 8 pound bass (24 inches long) are not unheard of! A recent regulation change has extended the catch and release bass regulation on Blydenburgh Lake to December 1 through the Friday preceding the first Saturday in June. This is the only lake on Long Island where you can legally target bass from March 16 through the Friday preceding the first Saturday in June. Bluegill to 10 inches and yellow perch to 13 inches are also possibilities at the lake.
Blydenburgh Lake and Blydenburgh County Park have a rich history. Around 1798, Susannah Smith (of the Smiths of Smithtown) and her sister Elizabeth inherited the land that is now Blydenburgh County Park. Susannah and her husband, Isaac Blydenburgh, bought out Elizabeth's share of the land. They then built a mill complex with Isaac's cousins, Joshua and Caleb Smith (does that name sound familiar?). The mill was named the new mill (hence New Mill Pond) as opposed to the old mill located downstream at Phillips Mill Pond. As part of this milling complex, 100 acres of forest was cut down. The dam created for the milling complex flooded this 100 acres into what is now known as Blydenburgh Lake. Because the logging operation left stumps that were visible under the water's surface, the lake originally had the name of Stump Pond.You can still find some of the stumps if you ever try to wade the shoreline of the lake, so be careful! In 1938, David and Mary Floyd Weld bought the land, lending a third alternative name to the lake (Weld's Pond). Suffolk County purchased the property in 1965. In 1969, Suffolk County named the property Blydenburgh County Park. Historic landmarks in the park include the 1798 New Mill, the 1802 Miller's House, the c. 1860 Farm Cottage, outbuildings and the c. 1820 Blydenburgh-Weld house.
Activities in the park include hiking, horse back riding, picnicking, camping, birdwatching, and, of course, fishing. From Memorial Day and Labor Day, the park rents out boats. Renting a boat allows fishing access to sections of shoreline too heavily vegetated to fish from shore. Seniors or handicapped people can get a discount on boat rentals.
There are two Main entrances to the park. The easiest for most people is the entrance on the north side of State Route 454 located approximately 1.5 miles eastof the Northern Parkway. This is the entrance to the boat docks/rental area and the campground. The other entrance is at the end of New Mill Road. You can get to New Mill Road from State Route 25 by going south on Brooksite Drive (0.4 miles east of the Smithtown Bull). After crossing the rail road tracks, make a left (west) onto New Mill Road and take it to the end. This entrance will take you to the dam area of the lake.