Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Marine District Party & Charter Boat License

The Party and Charter Boat License allows the license holder to carry recreational fishing passengers for hire on a registered vessel or to land fish taken by recreational fishing passengers outside the territorial waters of the state.

License Details



Age Requirement

Applicants 18 years old or under must have application signed and notarized by parent or legal guardian.

Permit Duration

Permit expires December 31 of each year.

How to Apply

  • You may contact the Marine Permit Office and request an application be mailed to you.
  • An online application (PDF, 218 KB) is also available for you to download.
  • Include copies of your valid U.S. Coast Guard Captain's License, the vessel state registration or U.S. Coast Guard Vessel Documentation of the vessel identified on the party and charter boat license, and the Captain's Licenses for all individuals who may operate the vessel.
  • If your vessel carries over six (6) passengers, please include a copy of U.S. Coast Guard Certificate of Vessel Inspection.
  • Complete the application and submit it, the required documents and the license fee to the Marine Permit Office at the address below.

Renewing & Reporting

License Renewal

A renewal form will be sent by mail prior to the permit expiration date. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2-weeks prior to the expiration date, please contact us at the address or number below.

Annual Reporting

The license holder must submit vessel trip reports (VTRs) monthly to DEC (or NMFS if a federal permit holder).

Laws & Regulations

New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)

Part 40: Marine Fish (link leaves DEC website)

Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)

To find a law click on the link, click on ENV, find Article 13, click on the appropriate law.

Fishing Limits

Recreational harvest limits for marine fish are available at: Saltwater Fishing Regulations - Recreational

Contact Information

Marine Permit Office - Division of Marine Resources
205 North Belle Mead Road, Suite 1
East Setauket, New York 11733
Phone: 631-444-0470

  • Important Links
  • PDF Help
  • For help with PDFs on this page, please call 631-444-0470.
  • Contact for this Page
  • Marine Permit Office - Division of Marine Resources
    205 North Belle Mead Road, Suite 1
    East Setauket, New York 11733
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to NYS Marine Costal District