2016 Open Space Conservation Plan
What is the Open Space Conservation Plan?
The Open Space Conservation Plan (OSP) is a comprehensive statewide plan that describes current open space conservation goals, actions, tools, resources and programs administered by state and federal agencies and conservation nonprofits. OSP goals include:
- ensuring clean water, air and land for a healthy public and vibrant economy;
- greening New York's economy;
- protecting natural resources and promoting outdoor recreation;
- increasing, deepening and improving the visitor experience;
- creating a 21st century parks system that is aesthetically compelling, energy and operationally efficient, and built to last.
- It also makes recommendations on how open space conservation programs can make the state better prepared and more resilient following future storms and climate change.
How is the plan developed?
The plan was developed with the assistance of nine Regional Advisory Committees composed of representatives of county governments and representatives selected by DEC and State Parks, all knowledgeable in open space conservation.
State Agencies involved include:
- Department of Environmental Conservation
- Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
- Department of State
- Department of Agriculture and Markets
- Department of Transportation
Each Regional Committee was asked to review the existing 2009 plan, including the list of priority open space conservation projects, as well as policy recommendations, to make New York's comprehensive open space conservation program stronger in the future.
Since 1992, the Open Space Conservation Plan has served as the blueprint for the State's Open Space Program, guiding the investment of land protection funds from the Environmental Protection Fund. As required by law, the Plan is updated periodically, relying heavily on the work of the nine Regional Advisory Committees.
2016 Open Space Conservation Plan Documents
- Open Space Plan Summary (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Open Space Plan - without e-Appendices (PDF, 4 MB)
- Governor's letter (PDF, 400 KB)
- Regional Advisory Committees' Reports (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Legislative Mandates (PDF, 120 KB)
- Project Eligibility & Evaluation Process (PDF, 360 KB)
- NYS Coastal & Estuarine Land Conservation Program Plan (PDF, 530 KB)
- Forest Legacy Expansions (PDF, 590 KB)
- Assessment of Public Comments (PDF, 240 KB)
- List of Public Commenters (PDF, 220 KB)