Kushaqua Tract Draft Recreation Management Plan
The 18,989-acre Kushaqua Tract Conservation Easement Lands are located in the south-central Franklin County towns of Brighton and Franklin. The contiguous tract is owned by the Lyme Timber Company of Hanover, New Hampshire. The State of New York acquired a working forest conservation easement with public recreation rights on the property in April 2004. The largest portion of the property is in the Town of Brighton (10,213 acres) with the remainder situated in the Town of Franklin (8,776 acres). The small communities of Onchiota and Loon Lake are close by with the communities of Gabriels, Paul Smiths, Bloomingdale, Rainbow Lake and Vermontville being a short drive away.
Management Actions Proposed in the Revised Draft RMP
- maintain and rehabilitate existing facilities (including brushing, raking, grading and rehabilitation of roads and bridges);
- designate one existing logging road as open for People with Disabilities under CP 3 permit;
- install informational, safety and boundary line signage;
- construct four new trails;
- construct six designated parking lots;
- upgrade and open for public access a total of 100 miles of existing roads, 35 miles of which will be open to limited motorized uses;
- motorized access will include approximately 26 miles of three-season automobile roads, 30 miles of ATV roads and trails available for access varying from one to three seasons of the year, 30 miles of roads and trails available for snowmobiling during the winter season, and approximately 0.5 miles of new automobile access for Persons with Disabilities possessing a CP-3 permit;
- install a universally accessible dock and boardwalk to provide for accessible fishing, paddling, boating, and wildlife viewing opportunities on Mountain Pond;
- construct 12 campsites, four of which will be constructed to be universally accessible;
- construct and maintain gates and other barriers to prevent illegal motorized use on sections of roads that are not open to public use.
Public Comment Opportunities
The 2014 Draft Recreation Management Plan (RMP) has been revised to reflect comments made as part of the previous public comment period. A public meeting will be held on September 1, 2015 at 7:00 pm at the DEC Region 5 Headquarters, 1115 NYS Route 86, Ray Brook. The meeting will provide an opportunity for people to learn more about the proposed management actions in the revised draft plan and comment on the proposals.
The Department will accept written comments until September 18, 2015. Comments should be sent to the contact below.
Sean Reynolds, Senior Forester
PO Box 296
1115 State Route 86
Ray Brook, NY 12977-1200
Download the Revised Draft RMP
- Full Revised Draft Recreational Management Plan (PDF, 14 MB). Caution, this file will take a long time to download for those with slow speed internet access. You may want to download the plan in sections using the links below.
- Revised Draft Recreation Management Plan without appendices (PDF, 650 KB)
- Appendix A (PDF, 4.25 MB)
- Appendix B (PDF, 7.7 MB)
- Appendix C (PDF, 7.3 MB)
- Appendix D-G (PDF, 450 KB)