Northern Piedmont Management Unit
A draft plan for management of 4,476 acres of the Northern Piedmont Management Unit has been released for public review and comment. The Northern Piedmont Unit consists of five State Forests and one Wildlife Management Area, in Washington County.
The Draft Northern Piedmont Unit Management Plan (Draft UMP), proposes management activities for the following State land units:
- 446-acre Carter's Pond Wildlife Management Area, Town of Greenwich;
- 1,724-acre Mt. Tom State Forest, Town of White Creek:
- 801-acre Chestnut Woods State Forest, Town of White Creek;
- 515-acre Eldridge Swamp State Forest, Town of Jackson;
- 535-acre Batten Kill State Forest, Town of Jackson; and
- 456-acre Goose Egg Mountain State Forest, Towns of Jackson and White Creek.
See the press release for more details.
A public meeting will be held at 6:30 pm on Wednesday November 6, at Cambridge High School in the Town of Cambridge. The meeting will provide the public with an opportunity to learn more on the proposed management actions in the Draft UMP and to provide comment on the proposals. The meeting facility is wheelchair accessible. Please provide any requests for specific accommodations to 518-897-1291 at least two weeks in advance.
DEC will accept comments on the draft UMP until December 6, 2013.
Comments may be provided in writing to Senior Forester Benjamin Thomas, NYSDEC, 232 Golf Course Road, Warrrensburg, NY 12885 or by e-mail.