Upper Salmon River Unit Management Plan
The Upper Salmon River Unit is located in New York State's Tug Hill Region and is comprised of the Salmon River State Forest, O'Hara State Forest, Hall Island State Forest, Battle Hill State Forest, and West Osceola State Forest as well as Salmon River Open Space Conservation Easement lands on Huckleberry and Burdick Islands within the Salmon River Reservoir and the Jackson Road Boat Launch. Together, these lands total 9,000 acres. The Unit also includes a portion of the planned acquisition from The National Grid Company totaling approximately 735 acres adjacent to the Salmon River Reservoir. Covering about 15 square miles, these forests are located in Oswego, Oneida and Lewis counties in the towns of Orwell, Redfield, Osceola and Florence.
This draft unit management plan has been developed to address management activities on these forests and easement areas. State Forests are managed for watershed protection, the production of timber and other forest products, recreation, and kindred purposes. The proposed UMP will help maintain healthy, sustainable, and biologically diverse ecosystems for fish and wildlife, while providing continued opportunities for forest product sales, recreational use, environmental education and research
The State lands covered by the proposed plan currently offer many recreational opportunities including: hiking, camping, picnicking, nature observation, boating, fishing, hunting, trapping, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and all terrain vehicle (ATV) access for people with mobility impairments. The following are some of the new or major changes to existing recreational facilities and resource management that are proposed in the plan:
- Improving Redfield Island Day Use Area, which includes developing a small parking area, improving the picnic facilities, stabilizing the shore line bank and developing an ADA compliant platform to access boats;
- Establishing a land management buffer on state lands within 300 feet of the Salmon River Reservoir shoreline and implementing special regulations for this area;
- Designating 20 camp sites within the 300 foot visual protection buffer along the Salmon River Reservoir shoreline;
- Installing informational kiosks at access points along the Salmon River Reservoir as well as at two other State forests on the unit.
- Designating one mile of existing access road for use as an accessible trail
- Improving the habitat for American woodcock on the Unit; and
- Increasing early successional habitats on approximately 312 acres over the next 20 years on the Unit.
Public comments are being accepted on the draft Upper Salmon River Unit Management Plan (UMP) through November 2, and a public meeting will be held Wednesday, October 2, 2013 from 6:30 p.m.to 8:45 p.m. at the Salmon River Fish Hatchery. DEC will consider all comments on the plan as it develops the Final Upper Salmon River UMP. Comments will be accepted until November 2 and can be sent to: NYSDEC, Division of Lands and Forests, Attn: Dan Sawchuck, 2133 County Route 22, Altmar, New York 13302 or by e-mail to: email@example.com.
Draft Upper Salmon River Unit Management Plan
Draft Upper Salmon River Unit Management Plan- Part I (PDF) (139 pages, 4.1 MB)
Draft Upper Salmon River Unit Management Plan- Part 2 (PDF) (15 pages, 4.7 MB)
Draft Upper Salmon River Unit Management Plan- Part 3 (PDF) (15 pages, 4.2 MB)