Niagara Mohawk (NiMo) Conservation Easement
NiMo Easement Map || View Same Map in PDF (1.1 MB) || Google Earth || State Lands Interactive Mapper
In 1999 and 2001, the State of New York purchased conservation easements from a branch of Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation. Lands subject to these easements are located in Colton, Parishville and Piercefield in St. Lawrence County, and are collectively referred to as the Nimo Easements. Terms of the easements will keep these lands as working forests, while providing public recreation opportunities. The lands subject to a conservation easement are now owned by Molpus Woodlands Group, LLC .
Location and Access
The NiMo easement tracts are located in the northwestern portion of the Adirondack Park in the Towns of Colton, Parishville and Piecefield in St. Lawrence County. The Goldmine and Hungry Bay properties can be accessed from White Hill Road. The Stark parcel is located on Stark Road, and the South Colton parcel is located at the end of Morgan Road. The Peaked Hill property is on Raquette River Road and the Hollywood Mountain parcel can be accessed from Route 56. The Dead Creek parcels can be accessed from Route 3 and Route 62 (across from Mount Arab Rd.).
- Motor vehicles are only permitted on designated roads.
- Snowmobiles are only permitted on designated trails.
- ATVs are only permitted on specifically designated trails.
- Parking is only allowed at designated areas.
- All roads and trails are subject to closure to the public.
- Hunting, fishing, and trapping are permitted, subject to established seasons, rules and regulations.
- Camping is allowed, subject to the same rules as on Forest Preserve.
- Please contact the NYSDEC Potsdam Office if you have any questions about recreation allowed on these properties.
Information Requests and Suggestions
If you would like additional information on the NiMo Easements or on any other lands administered by the Department of Environmental Conservation, please consult the DEC Supervising Forester at the office below. Normal office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm.
In case of an emergency (24 hours/day): Forest Fire, Search and Rescue - (518) 891-0235
The Department of Environmental Conservation welcomes suggestions on how to improve the management of this area. Please send your suggestions to:
Lands and Forests
6739 US Hwy 11
Potsdam, NY 13676
More about Niagara Mohawk (NiMo) Conservation Easement:
- NiMo CE Location Map - The NiMo easement tracts are located in the northwestern portion of the Adirondack Park in the Towns of Colton, Parishville and Piecefield in St. Lawrence County.