Harrier Hill Park Permeable Pavers, Vegetated Swale, and Stormwater Retention Garden
- Site Name: Harrier Hill Park
- Address: 6729 Rod and Gun Road, Stockport
- Owner: Scenic Hudson
- County: Columbia
- Watershed: Hudson River
- Land use of site: Park/open space
- Can this site be visited? Yes
- Location on site: At entrance, immediately off Rod and Gun Road
- Intent of design: Public access area at Scenic Hudson's Harrier Hill Park
- Size of structure/capacity: 2,110 sq. ft vegetated swale and stormwater retention garden
- Size of drainage area: 3,820 sq. ft gravel parking area with permeable paver ADA lanes
- Maintenance: Thus far, the stormwater retention garden and vegetated swale have not required the removal of siltation or other debris, but that will also be performed, on as as-needed basis, by Scenic Hudson parks management staff.
- Maintained by: Mowing and snow removal services are contracted out. Columbia Land Conservancy, through a management agreement with Scenic Hudson, performs routine repairs and maintenance including kiosk brochure stocking/trash removal from parking area. Scenic Hudson parks management staff performs invasive species management and larger repairs.
- Design: Scenic Hudson parks development staff (Kate Kane and Meg Rasmussen)
- Installation: Hemlock Hollow Farm (Sam Wright, owner)
- Date of installation: Summer and early fall of 2009
- Zoning change or special permit required: Site plan approval through Town of Stockport Planning Board; no additional requirements for the stormwater attenuation
- Project cost: Construction of all improvements at Harrier Hill Park (including pavilion, benches, kiosk/signage, sitework, and parking area) totaled $200,000. The installation of the gravel parking lot (including timber wheel stops and ADA parking sign/post, permeable paver ADA lanes with vegetated swale/bioretention area) was $16,000.
- Form of payment: Funding for the park came, in part, from an Environmental Protection Fund (EPF) grant administered by New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Scenic Hudson provided matching funds to supplement the grant.
For Additional Site Information:
Contact: Laura Sumner, Scenic Hudson, Inc
Phone: (845) 473-4440 x 247