Cat Hollow State Forest
Named After Cougars
Cat Hollow State Forest covers 759 acres and is located in the town of Sanford in Broome County. The forest was acquired in 1964 using Bond Act funds and is named after the cougars that roamed the area prior to 1900.
The area is ideal for passive recreation, such as hunting, bird watching and hiking. No formal hiking or cross country ski trails exist, although McMurray road, a 1.2 mile road traverses the forest.
The forest contains a wide array of different cover types. The types include Northern Hardwood, Northern Hardwood-Hemlock, Northern Hardwood-White Pine, Oak, Red Pine and White Spruce. The elevation of the forest ranges from 1200 to 1700 feet above sea level.
The southern boundary of the forest runs for three quarters of a mile along the New York-Pennsylvania Border. A roadside beaver pond can be found along Woodford Road near the west edge of the forest. This area is a good place to see geese, ducks, beaver, herons and other wetland wildlife species. The forest has two streams- Cat Hollow stream and a small tributary of Cat Hollow that is unnamed. In addition, there are two small wetlands on the forest that total 8.8 acres in size, and two interior ponds.
Anyone enjoying the use of this State Forest must observe the following rules which protect them and the forest environment:
- Do not litter. Carry out what you carry in. Burying of refuse is prohibited.
- If you build a fire, do so with care and use wood from dead and downed trees only. Never leave a fire unattended.
- All motorized vehicles are restricted to access roads posted as motor vehicle trails. Off road use of motorized vehicles, such as ATVs, trail bikes and four-wheel drives is not allowed, except where specifically permitted by signs, posted notice or by DEC permit.
- Camping for more than three nights or in a group of ten or more requires a permit from a Forest Ranger. Camping is prohibited within 150 feet of water, roads or trail.
- No permanent structures should be established, including tree stands or blinds.
Access to the forest is gained by traveling south from the village of Deposit on Oquaga Lake Road, and turning left onto Gillette Road. At the intersection with Woodford Road, the abandoned McMurray Road begins, and runs southeast through the forest. This old road runs along a feeder stream to the West Branch of the Delaware River, and passes old farm foundation and a beaver pond. There is parking along Woodford Road and at the entrance to the forest along Gillette Road.
State Forest Office (M-F 8am-4pm): 607-674-4017
Forest Ranger (Evenings, Weekends and Holidays): 607-648-6247
DEC Forest Ranger Dispatch: 518-408-5850