Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Chapel of Our Lady Restoration Chancery Annex Green Roof


Green roof

The Chancery Annex is a small, discreet building designed to complement the function of the 1833 Chapel of Our Lady Restoration. It was designed to blend with the landscape. The Chancery building serves as a "green room" for performers before concerts, provides comfort facilities and is a place for post event receptions. The green roof was constructed in Fall 2008.

Site Location

  • Site Name: Chapel of Our Lady Restoration
  • Address: 45 Market Street, Cold Spring, NY 10516
  • Owner: The Chapel of Our Lady Restoration, Inc
  • County: Putnam
  • Watershed: Hudson River
  • Land use of site: Non-denominational historic chapel
  • Can this site be visited? By appointment or scheduled event

view of the chapel green roof with plants growing from many levels of the stone roof

Practice Details

  • Intent of design: To complement the Chapel and allow the Chancery building to blend into the landscape
  • Size of structure/capacity: 1,000 square feet
  • Size of drainage area: 900 square feet
  • Plants or materials used: Five varieties of sedum, native prickly pear cactus (Opuntia)
  • Maintenance: It is occasionally weeded. Windblown grasses and other wild plants have augmented the original plantings and have been permitted to remain. Scuppers are cleared of leaves twice a year to assure drainage.
  • Maintained by: Volunteers and paid contractors

Design/Installation Information

  • Design: Peter Smith, Architect
  • Installation: Hall Builders of Goshen, NY
  • Date of installation: Fall 2008
  • Zoning change or special permit required: No
  • Project cost: N/A
  • Form of payment: N/A

For Additional Site Information:

Contact: Michael Armstrong, Director of Facilities Committee, Chapel Board of Directors
Phone: (845) 265-3240