Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center Porous Pavement
The Discovery Center installed Flexi-Pave, a porous pavement material made from recycled tires, as a trail surface along the Metamorphosis Maze exhibit and the Native Plant Walkway. The installation involved applying Flexi-Paveover two different sub-base materials: a sand base and a crusher run base.
• Site name: Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center
• Address: 195 New Karner Road, Albany, NY 12205
• County: Albany County
• Watershed: Hudson River
• Land use of site: Preserve
• Can this site be visited? Yes
• Location on site: Near main entrance to Discovery Center
• Intent of design: To provide an accessible, inviting and permeable trail surface
• Size of structure/capacity: 1,500 sq. ft.
• Size of drainage area: 1,500 sq. ft.
• Plants or materials used: Flexi-Pave, material derived from pebble-sized recycled tires
• Maintenance: Annual application of urethane
• Maintained by: Certified contractor
• More than one practice at this site? Yes: installations at the Metamorphosis Maze and the Native Plant Walkway
• Design: Initial design by Envision Architects
• Installation: Jim Montgomery Construction
• Date of installation: September 2010 - Metamorphosis Maze; May 2011 - Native Plant Walkway
• Zoning change or special permit required: No
• Project cost: $22,300
• Form of payment: 50% upon contract, 50% upon completion
For Additional Site Information:
Contact: Michael Venuti, Discovery Center Project Manager