Lake Champlain Islands Complex - Draft Unit Management Plan
The Lake Champlain Islands Management Complex encompasses approximately 1,133.8 acres of Forest Preserve lands on six of the seven state owned Lake Champlain Islands - Valcour, Schuyler, Cole, Garden, Sheepshead, and Signal Buoy. A seventh state-owned Island, Crab Island, is located outside of the Adirondack Park, is administered by The Office of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP), and will not be addressed in this Unit Management Plan (UMP). There are also 28.1 acres of land that make up the three boat launch sites (BLS) in the Management Complex that are administered by the Department's Bureau of Fisheries: Peru Dock BLS, Port Douglas BLS and Willsboro Bay BLS.
Management Actions Proposed in the Draft UMP
- Make the trail to the Bluff Point Lighthouse accessible to people with disabilities;
- Replace the deteriorating boat dock near the lighthouse with one in Bullhead Bay, designed to be accessible by people with disabilities;
- Close the primitive tent sites on Cole and Sheepshead Islands;
- Close eight primitive tent sites and relocating another eight on Valcour Island to conform with the Adirondack Park State Land Master Plan;
- Relocate one of the three existing sites on Schuyler Island to conform with the Adirondack Park State Land Master Plan. When re-established, the site will be constructed to be accessible;
- Build a memorial and interpretive site at Peru Dock Boat Launch;
- Remove picnic tables from Valcour and Schuyler Islands to conform with the Adirondack Park State Land Master Plan; and
- Replace cement fire places with stone fire rings on concrete bases at primitive tent sites, as needed.
Public Comment Opportunities
The public comment period has now closed. For questions about the planning process, please contact us at R5.UMP@dec.ny.gov.