Overlook Mountain Wild Forest - Unit Management Plan
The Overlook Mountain Wild Forest is a small area of approximately 590 acres in the Town of Woodstock, Ulster County, bordering the 16,800-acre Indian Head Wilderness. The summit of Overlook Mountain is one of the top three-most visited locations in the Catskill Forest Preserve, after Slide Mountain and North-South Lake.
For a description of recreational opportunities in the unit, please visit the Overlook Mountain Wild Forest recreation page.
Status of the UMP
The Department adopted a Unit Management Plan (UMP) for the Overlook Mountain Wild Forest in 1999. If you have questions about the UMP, please contact us at email@example.com.
Download the UMP
2016 Draft Amendment - Public Access Improvements
This amendment contains several proposals to facilitate a better user experience within the unit:
- Construction of two additional parking areas
- Designation of connector and loop trails between parking areas and the existing trail system
- Installation of sanitary facilities at trailheads
- Designation of the Overlook Mountain Trail as a CP-3 route
- The classification of nearly 600 acres of land to include them in the Overlook Mountain Wild Forest
Public Comment Opportunities
The Department will be holding a public meeting on November 29, 2016, at 7:00 PM, at the Woodstock Community Center, 56 Rock City Road, Woodstock NY. The Department will also be accepting written comments on the draft UMP amendment until December 15, 2016. Comments can be sent to the following contact:
Jeff Rider, Supervising Forester
21 South Putt Corners Rd.
New Paltz, NY