Remsen-Lake Placid Travel Corridor - Unit Management Plan
The Remsen-Lake Placid Travel Corridor is a railroad right-of-way approximately 119 miles long and generally 100 feet wide. Constructed in 1892 by William Seward Webb, the line was operated continuously by the New York Central Railroad, and then the Penn Central Railroad, until freight service ceased in 1972. In 1974, the Corridor was purchased by New York State. In 1977, the State leased the line to the Adirondack Railway Corporation. After the bankruptcy of the lessee, and following a long period of litigation, the State acquired the remainder of the lease in 1991.
Status of the UMP
DEC and the Department of Transportation completed a Unit Management Plan (UMP) and Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) for the Remsen to Lake Placid Travel Corridor in 1996. The UMP provided for continuation and expansion of rail use along the entire length of the Corridor and prescribed the development of a parallel trail where feasible. The Plan concluded that both the rail and trail potential of the corridor should be developed and that no action should be taken to eliminate the rail potential of any segment of the corridor.
Download the UMP
2016 Proposed Final UMP Amendment/FSEIS
The Department has completed a Proposed Final UMP Amendment/Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (FSEIS). The amendment proposes a new alternative which calls for bolstering rail service between Remsen and Tupper Lake - which includes the extension of operating rail service 45 miles from the Big Moose Station to the Tupper Lake Station - and for the conversion of the Corridor between Tupper Lake and Lake Placid to a 34 mile multi-use recreational trail.
The amendment will not be considered "Final" until the Adirondack Park Agency (APA) has found it to be in conformance with the Adirondack Park State Land Master Plan (APSLMP) and it has been approved by the DEC Commissioner.