D E C banner
D E C banner

Disclaimer

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

The Federal Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) Funding Program

WRDA FAQs and Eligibility Requirements

NOTE: The NYC Watershed Program is not currently accepting applications due to lack of program funding.

The Federal Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) Funding Program

The Federal Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) Funding Program is a federal grant program. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYS DEC) is the lead agency in coordinating with the US Army Corp of Engineers (Corps) for this program. The project proposals are submitted to the NYS DEC for review and certification. Authorized funding is provided by Section 552 of the WRDA 1996 Program. The Corp is responsible for the overall management of the program, and the New York District of the Corps is the lead Corps District in administering the projects.

What type Projects are considered for WRDA Funding?

Projects are required to be within the borders of the NYC Watershed. The primary objective of the New York City Watershed Environmental Assistance Program is to provide design, and construction assistance to non-Federal interests for carrying out water related environmental infrastructure and resource protection and development projects in the New York City Watershed. Eligible projects include:

  • wastewater treatment
  • water supply
  • water storage
  • treatment and distribution facilities
  • stream bank stabilization
  • stormwater runoff abatement
  • non-point source pollution control

Who is eligible to apply?

Eligible recipients include, but are not limited to:

  • municipalities
  • local Soil and Water Conservation Districts
  • not-for-profit corporations

How much funding is available?

The total amount of available funding is determined by the Federal and State budget process. NYS DEC anticipates approximately $1 million dollars from available state funding and WRDA funding.

Is there a maximum grant award amount?

No.

Are matching funds required?

Yes - The WRDA grants require matching funds toward the total project costs. The federal share of the match is 75% and the remaining 25% provided by matching non-federal sources.

How do I apply for WRDA funding?

There is no formal application form for WRDA funding. The applicant submits a formal project proposal. Completed project proposals are then reviewed by NYS DEC. Recommended projects are certified by the NYS DEC as being qualified for funding. The Corps works with successful applicants for project management and administration.

Qualified project proposals should include:

  • detailed scope of work
  • budget
  • implementation schedule

Where do I send my completed proposal?

Proposals are accepted continuously for WRDA projects.

Bruce Mussett
NYC Watershed Section
Division of Water
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
625 Broadway, 4th Floor
Albany, NY 12233-3508
(518) 402-8164
email: NYC Watershed WRDA Projects

Where can I get More Information?

Bruce Mussett
DOW /NYC Watershed Section

See contact information in above section


  • PDF Help
  • For help with PDFs on this page, please call 518-402-8086.
  • Contact for this Page
  • Bureau of Water Resource Management
    Division of Water
    625 Broadway, 4th Floor
    Albany, NY 12233-3508
    518-402-8086
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to Region 3