Mined Land Reclamation Law Declaration Of PolicyThe legislature hereby declares that it is the policy of this state to foster and encourage the development of an economically sound and stable mining industry, and the orderly development of domestic mineral resources and reserves necessary to assure satisfaction of economic needs compatible with sound environmental management practices.
The legislature further declares it to be the policy of this state:
- to provide for the management and planning for the use of these non-renewable natural resources and to provide, in conjunction with such mining operations, for reclamation of affected lands;
- to encourage productive use including but not restricted to:
- the planting of forests, the planting of crops for harvest, the seeding of grass and legumes for grazing purposes,
- the protection and enhancement of wildlife and aquatic resources,
- the establishment of recreational, home, commercial, and industrial sites;
- to provide for the conservation, development, utilization, management and appropriate use of all the natural resources of such areas for compatible multiple purposes;
- to prevent pollution;
- to protect and perpetuate the taxable value of property;
- to protect the health, safety and general welfare of the people, as well as the natural beauty and aesthetic values in the affected areas of the state.
This past April, as part of an ongoing environmental forum series, the Albany Law School convened a panel discussion on "Sustainable Development and Mining: Perspectives on New York State's Mined Land Reclamation Law." The Division Director participated as one of the four panelists. (requires Adobe Acrobat)
More about Mined Land Reclamation Law Declaration Of Policy:
- Oil and Gas, Mining And Reclamation Laws - Brief description of the Mined Land Reclamation Law and the Oil, Gas and Solution Mining Law.