Water Well Definitions (ECL § 15-1502)
The law below is presented as a quick reference tool. While it is believed to be accurate, it is not a certified copy of the law and therefore should not be relied upon for legal interpretation.
The law as printed by Lawyers Cooperative Publishing, will continue to be the official source for legal purposes.
§ 15-1502. Definitions.
When used in this title, unless otherwise expressly stated or unless the context or subject matter otherwise requires:
- "Coastal communities" shall mean those areas on Long Island where the Magothy aquifer is either absent or contaminated with chlorides.
- "Lloyd Sands" shall mean that geological strata generally known to be the deepest and oldest water-bearing layer of the Long Island aquifer system and shall not include bedrock.
- "Water well" shall mean any groundwater excavation for the purpose of obtaining water.
- "Water well drilling" or "water well drilling activities" shall mean the construction and reconstruction of water wells, the establishment or repair of a connection through the well casing and the repair of water wells including repairs which require the opening of the well casing.
- "Water well driller" shall mean a person who, for compensation or as part of property development and sale, engages in water well drilling activities; provided, however, that for the purposes of this subdivision the term "person" shall not include a public corporation, political subdivision, government agency, department or bureau of the state or a municipality.
- "Enforcement officer" shall mean any person authorized to enforce the provisions of this title or the building code in the municipality in which the water well drilling activities are taking place.