Pre-Notification Requirements For Registered Water Well Contractors
NYS Environmental Conservation Law 15-1525 requires registered water well contractors to notify NYSDEC prior to commencement of drilling a water well within the State of New York. Please note that the type of preliminary notice a driller must file is geographically dependant. Those contractors drilling wells in all counties of New York State except Nassau, Suffolk, Kings or Queens counties must follow the instructions listed under item (1). Those contractors working within Nassau, Suffolk, Kings or Queens counties must follow the instructions under item (2).
(1) Prior to drilling a well in any NYS county except Nassau, Suffolk, Kings or Queens a Preliminary Notice Of Proposed Water Well must be filed with the NYSDEC Central office in Albany, NY. A water well contractor may submit a notification by fax or US mail. Additional instructions are provided on the notification form.
A supply of forms can be obtained by the following means:
- On line - Preliminary Notice of Proposed Water Well (PDF) (56 KB) - This form can be viewed and printed as is, or it can be filled out on screen and then printed to your local printer. You can also download it by right clicking on the link and saving it to your PC. If necessary, Instructions (PDF) (15 KB) for filling out and filing the "Preliminary Notice of Proposed Water Well" can be viewed or downloaded. For additional assistance or instruction on the form, call one of the telephone numbers listed directly below
- By Telephone - Toll Free (877) 472-2619 or (518) 402-8291
- By e-mail
- By Fax - Our fax number is (518) 402-8290, please include a return fax number or postal address
- By U.S. Mail - NYSDEC, Div. of Water; Water Well Program; 625 Broadway, 4th floor; Albany, NY, 12233-3505
(2) Prior to drilling a water well in Nassau, Suffolk, Kings or Queens county a Preliminary Report On Proposed Well must be filed by the contractor with NYSDEC Regional Headquarters office in Stony Brook, NY. A Preliminary Report form may be obtained by the following means:
- By Fax - (631) 444-0424, please include a return fax number or postal address
- By U.S. Mail - NYSDEC, Water Supply Unit - Region 1; SUNY @ Stony Brook, 50 Circle Road, Stony Brook, NY 11790 - 3409
- By Telephone - (631) 444-0410