Pre-Notification Requirements For Registered Water Well Contractors
NYS Environmental Conservation Law ECL §15-1525 requires registered water well contractors to notify NYSDEC prior to commencement of drilling a water well.
(1) For all NYS counties except Nassau, Suffolk, Kings or Queens drilling contractors must file a Preliminary Notice Of Proposed Water Well with the NYSDEC Central Office in Albany, NY prior to the start of drilling.
A notification can be submitted by fax, email, U.S. mail, or use NYDEC's online Preliminary Notice submission form. The online form process will first take you to the NY.gov login page. After logging in, you will be redirected to our DEC online forms page. User guides and help on registering for the portal are available on the portal information webpage.
After creating your account, return to this page and click the "Online Forms Login" button. User guides and help on registering for the portal are available on the portal information webpage.
Forms can be obtained by the following means:
- On-line - Preliminary Notice of Proposed Water Well (PDF) (56 KB) - This form can be viewed and printed as is, or it can be filled out on screen and then printed to your local printer. You can also download it by right clicking on the link and saving it to your computer. If necessary, Instructions (PDF) (15 KB) for filling out and filing the "Preliminary Notice of Proposed Water Well" can be viewed or downloaded. For additional assistance or instruction on the form, call one of the telephone numbers listed directly below.
- By Telephone - Toll Free (877) 472-2619 or (518) 402-8291
- By e-mail
- By Fax - (518) 402-8290, please include a return fax number or postal address
- By U.S. Mail - NYSDEC, Div. of Water; Water Well Program; 625 Broadway, 4th floor; Albany, NY, 12233-3508
(2) For Nassau, Suffolk, Kings or Queens county a Preliminary Report On Proposed Well must be filed by the contractor with NYSDEC Regional Headquarters office in Stony Brook, NY. A Preliminary Report form may be obtained by the following means:
- By Fax - (631) 444-0424, please include a return fax number or postal address
- By U.S. Mail - NYSDEC, Water Supply Unit - Region 1; SUNY @ Stony Brook, 50 Circle Road, Stony Brook, NY 11790-3409
- By Telephone - (631) 444-0410