Water Quality Management Planning Projects
Clean Water Act Section 604(b) Funding Awards
The DEC has awarded Clean Water Act (CWA) Section 604(b) funding, also known as 604(b) funding or CWA Section 604(b) funding. This page provides an overview of the 604(b) awards made by NYSDEC. If you are an awardee of 604(b) funding, the CWA Section 604(b) Information for Awardees page contains useful information and important forms and instructions.
604(b) Award Background
On October 29, 2010, DEC published a request for applications (RFA) for Clean Water Act (CWA) Section 604(b) funds. DEC received seventeen project applications and awarded funding to fourteen projects (administered by ten entities). The 604(b) Funding Awards table below lists the fourteen projects.
|Awardee||Project Name(s)||4-Year Contract Cap Amount *|
|Capital District Regional Planning Commission||Water Quality Management Planning Program||$419,821.50|
|Central New York Regional Planning and Development Board||Multi-Purpose Regional WQMP, CNY Statewide Assistance Program & DO Depletion Assessment in 6 CNY Lakes||$753,290.00|
|Genesee/Finger Lakes Regional Planning Council||Genesee-Finger Lakes Regional Water Quality Management Planning Program||$361,428.74|
|Herkimer-Oneida Counties Comprehensive Planning Program||Multi-Purpose Regional Water Quality Management Planning Program||$409,125.00|
|Hudson Valley Regional Council||Water Quality Management Planning Projects||$571,422.54|
|Lake Champlain-Lake George Regional Planning Board||Adirondack Water Quality Management Planning Program||$250,185.00|
|New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission||NYSG Long Island MS4 Phase II Planning (LI-MS4 Planning) Program||$455,470.98|
|Southern Tier Central Regional Planning and Development Board||STC Water Quality Management Planning Program||$384,900.00|
|Souther Tier East Regional Planning and Development Board||Southern Tier East Baseline Program||$286,200.51|
|Southern Tier West Regional Planning and Development Board||STWRPDB Baseline Program, WNY Watershed Protection Planning & Chautauqua Institution WQ Treatment Program||$399,029.80|
* The actual amount provided to recipients each year is subject to change based on the amount DEC receives from EPA.
The federal Clean Water Act provides for funding to states for regional water quality management planning projects. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) awards 604(b) grants to states, which in turn make awards to regional planning and interstate organizations. While EPA awards 604(b) funds annually, DEC typically issues a Request for Applications (RFA) every 3-5 years and awards funds to multi-year projects. Another RFA is not anticipated until 2014.
The following organizations are eligible to apply for 604(b) funding. Links to eligible applicant websites are in the Links Leaving DEC's Website section in the right-hand column of this page.
NYS Regional Planning Organizations
- Capital District Regional Planning Council
- Central New York Regional Planning and Development Board
- Genesee/Finger Lakes Regional Planning Council
- Herkimer-Oneida Counties Comprehensive Planning Program
- Hudson Valley Regional Council
- Lake Champlain-Lake George Regional Planning Board
- Long Island Regional Planning Council
- Southern Tier Central Regional Planning and Development Board
- Southern Tier East Regional Planning and Development Board
- Southern Tier West Regional Planning and Development Board
- Delaware River Basin Commission
- Great Lakes Commission
- Interstate Environmental Commission
- New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission
- Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission
- Susquehanna River Basin Commission
In 2009, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA or Stimulus) provided extra 604(b) funds. New York awarded $1.7 million to eleven planning projects focused on the following priorities:
- Green Infrastructure
- Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) development
- Phase II Stormwater for Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4)
- Water Quality Management
The ARRA 604(b) projects all began by February 17, 2010 and will be finished by February 17, 2012. For more information, visit the ARRA/CWA Section 604(b) webpages (links are below and in the left-hand column of this page).
More about Water Quality Management Planning Projects:
- CWA Section 604(b) Information for Awardees - This page describes funding currently available under Section 604(b) of the Clean Water Act.
- ARRA/CWA Section 604(b) Funding Awards - Overview of the ARRA/CWA Section 604(b) awards made by NYSDEC. Includes a list of sub-recipient organizations, brief project descriptions, award amounts, and quarterly updates about project activities.
- ARRA/CWA Section 604(b) Information for Sub-Recipients - Instructions, forms and useful web sites for organizations that received ARRA/CWA 604(b) funds from NYSDEC.
- ARRA/CWA Section 604(b) Project Profiles - Descriptions of the ARRA 604(b)-funded projects.