Water Quality Management Planning Projects
Clean Water Act, Section 604(b) Funding Awards
DEC has issued a Request for Applications (RFA) for Clean Water Act (CWA), Section 604(b) funds. Applications must be submitted by 4:00 PM on February 9, 2015. Visit the CWA Section 604(b) Information for Awardees page for more information and to download the RFA.
The federal Clean Water Act provides for funding to states for regional water quality management planning activities. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) awards 604(b) grants to states, which in turn make awards to regional planning and interstate organizations. See the Eligible Applicants section below for a list of organizations eligible for the current round of funding. While EPA awards 604(b) funds annually, DEC typically issues a Request for Applications (RFA) every 3-5 years and awards funds to multi-year programs.
The following organizations are eligible to apply for 604(b) funding from DEC. Links to eligible applicant websites are in the Offsite Links section in the right-hand column of this page.
NYS Regional Planning Organizations
- Capital District Regional Planning Council
- Central New York Regional Planning and Development Board
- Genesee/Finger Lakes Regional Planning Council
- Herkimer-Oneida Counties Comprehensive Planning Program
- Hudson Valley Regional Council
- Lake Champlain-Lake George Regional Planning Board
- Long Island Regional Planning Council
- Southern Tier Central Regional Planning and Development Board
- Southern Tier East Regional Planning and Development Board
- Southern Tier West Regional Planning and Development Board
- Delaware River Basin Commission
- Great Lakes Commission
- Interstate Environmental Commission
- New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission
- Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission
- Susquehanna River Basin Commission
In 2010, DEC issued a request for applications (RFA) for 604(b) funds available annually for the next four years, focused on the following priorities:
- County Water Quality Coordinating Committee (CWQCC) support and assistance
- Green Infrastructure
- Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) elements
- Phase II Stormwater for Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4) and construction planning
- Water Quality Management Planning (WQMP)
DEC awarded over $2.8 million to fourteen water quality management planning projects administered by ten entities. The projects all began by April 1, 2011 and were finished by March 31, 2015.
2009 ARRA Funds
In 2009, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA or Stimulus) provided extra 604(b) funds. New York awarded $1.7 million to eleven planning projects focused on the following priorities:
- Green Infrastructure
- Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) development
- Phase II Stormwater for Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4)
- Water Quality Management
The ARRA 604(b) projects all began by February 17, 2010 and will be finished by February 17, 2012. For more information, visit the ARRA/CWA Section 604(b) webpages (links are below and in the left-hand column of this page).
More about Water Quality Management Planning Projects:
- CWA Section 604(b) Information for Applicants - This page describes funding currently available under Section 604(b) of the Clean Water Act.
- ARRA/CWA Section 604(b) Funding Awards - Overview of the ARRA/CWA Section 604(b) awards made by NYSDEC. Includes a list of sub-recipient organizations, brief project descriptions, award amounts, and quarterly updates about project activities.
- ARRA/CWA Section 604(b) Information for Sub-Recipients - Instructions, forms and useful web sites for organizations that received ARRA/CWA 604(b) funds from NYSDEC.
- ARRA/CWA Section 604(b) Project Profiles - Descriptions of the ARRA 604(b)-funded projects.