Private Forest Management
More than 80% of New York's 18.6 million acres of forests are in private ownership. DEC foresters serve private forest owners by advising on management activities tailored to meet individual ownership goals. Foresters provide expert advice on wildlife habitat improvement, erosion control, tree planting, recreation enhancement, sugar bush management and silviculture. Federal cost-sharing programs and the state property tax reduction programs are administered by DEC foresters.
To contact your local DEC forester for assistance in your woodlot, please use the link in the right column.
A Municipal Official's Guide to Forestry in New York State (PDF, 4.3 MB) is a new publication that highlights the value of our forests, identifies some of the greatest threats to forestry and encourages municipalities to promote forestry and forest stewardship.
More about Private Forest Management:
- EQIP Forestry Initiative - EQIP is a voluntary program that provides financial and technical assistance to eligible private forestland owners who are willing to address priority environmental issues by implementing conservation practices.
- Forest Stewardship Plans: Why They Are Important - Nine reasons why a woodland owner should develop a stewardship plan
- Forest Stand Improvement - Ways to improve your woodlot for increased or better timber production.
- Protect and Improve the Quality of Your Forest Land - This progressive forestry program is administered by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation to encourage private forest landowners in New York to apply sound forest management practices to their woodlands.
- Timber Harvesting - A well-managed forest is vigorous and healthy, aesthetically pleasing, effective in preserving the watershed system and valuable for the production of timber and other forest products.
- Cooperating Forester Program - The Cooperating Forester program is designed to encourage landowners to work with private foresters in managing their woodlots.
- Timber Theft on Private Land - How to Protect your Timber. Preventing and Reporting Timber Theft.
- Forest Tax Law Program - The provisions of Section 480-a of the Real Properly Tax Law.
- Ice Storm Damage to Forests - Ice Storm Damage to Forests