Castle Rock Unique Area
Castle Rock Unique Area consists of 129 acres of gently sloping fields and much steeper woodlands. An old carriage road runs along the inside edge of the woodlands, near the fields. This carriage road leads to a beautiful gazebo with a great view of the Hudson Highlands. There are no interior trails. Bushwhacking through this area may lead to discoveries of old habitation. Please stay off the private driveway that leads to the castle on the hilltop. The drive and castle are private property and trespassing is prohibited. You may cross the drive, but not walk along it.
Of the additional buildings, one is a residence for law enforcement staff and the other is private property and gated. Follow the driveway in from Route 9D and bear left at the fork, then right at the next fork for the parking lot. There is a map on the kiosk. Please respect our neighbors on either side by not trespassing.
Unique Area Regulations:
Anyone enjoying this Unique Area must observe the following rules which protect both them and the forest environment.
1. Do not litter. Carry out what you carry in. Burying of refuse is prohibited.
2. If you build a fire, do so with care, and use wood from dead and downed trees only. Never leave a fire unattended.
3. All motorized vehicles are restricted to access roads posted as motor vehicle trails. Off-road use of motorized vehicles, such as ATVs, trail bikes and four-wheel drive vehicles, is not allowed, except where specifically permitted by signs, posted notice or DEC permit.
4. Camping for more than three nights, or in a group of ten or more requires a permit from a forest ranger. Camping is prohibited within 150 feet of water, roads or trails.
5. No permanent structures should be established, including tree stands or blinds
View from the gazebo
DEC appreciates public assistance. Volunteer projects will be considered, if consistent with management policy and legal constraints. Volunteer projects are always subject to DEC supervision.
State Forest Office (M-F 7am-3pm): 845-831-8780 x309
Forest Ranger Dispatch: 845-256-3013