Dam Safety, Coastal & Flood Protection
To protect people against loss of life and property from flood and dam failure, DEC is entrusted with the regulatory power over dams. The Department also provides technical support to local governments and owners of dams, and promotes floodplain management in communities across the state.
Dam Safety Engineers "On the Front Lines" is the first of a new YouTube series featuring DEC employees and the unique work they do across New York State
In the limelight, two DEC Environmental Engineers share their perspectives working for DEC in Waste Reduction and Recycling and Coastal Erosion.
To protect people against loss of life and property from flood and dam failure, DEC is entrusted with the regulatory power over dams. Dams are man-made barriers constructed to impound water.
Find information about:
- Dam safety forms
- Information for dam owners and community emergency preparedness
- DEC enforces requirements to operate and maintain dams in a safe condition, and monitors remedial work for compliance with dam safety criteria
- Map of NYS Inventory of Dams
Coastal Erosion and Flooding
Coastal erosion is a naturally occurring process that results in the loss or displacement of land along the coastline, continually changing natural protective features such as beaches, dunes, bluffs and nearshore areas.
For information about:
- The coastal waters of NYS
- How coastal erosion areas are regulated
- Coastal erosion hazard area (CEHA) Permit Program
- Coastal Erosion Control Design
Flood Protection and Floodplain Management
The Department works with communities throughout the state in finding ways to reduce or protect against physical and property damage caused by flooding.
The Department works on:
- Structural flood damage reduction projects to prevent flood waters from damaging communities
- Helps communities establish sustainable floodplain management programs to mitigate the potential for flooding
- Works with communities participating in the National Flood Insurance Program to administer local regulations and building standards for flood damage prevention
More about Dam Safety, Coastal & Flood Protection:
- Dam Safety - Statewide program responsible for dam safety inspections, technical review of proposed dam construction or modification, monitoring of remedial work for compliance with dam safety criteria and emergency preparedness
- Be Prepared for Floods - How to reduce flood damage to your home and property.
- What to Do After a Flood - Information for residents, communities and businesses on what to do after a flood, who to call, and what resources are available for recovery.
- Floodplain Management - Statewide program which provides technical assistance to communities in the National Flood Insurance Program and coordinates remapping of floodplains
- Flood Protection Projects - Statewide program that oversees permitting, construction and rehabilitation of structural flood Control projects
- Coastal Management - The Section's programs manage the coast through the implementation of the Coastal Erosion Hazard Area Land-use Management Program and through Storm Damage Reduction Projects.