Lake George Wild Forest - Draft Unit Management Plan
The Lake George Wild Forest consists of approximately 71,133 acres of State Forest Preserve lands in the southeastern Adirondacks in the towns of Bolton, Chester, Hague, Horicon, Lake George, Lake Luzerne, Queensbury and Warrensburg in Warren County and the towns of Dresden, Fort Ann, and Putnam in Washington County and is generally bounded on the north by the Warren County line, on the west by the Hudson River, and on the south and east by the Adirondack Park boundary. The Lake George Wild Forest contains miles of marked trails available to explore, allowing the public to easily access a variety of majestic natural attractions such as Black Mountain, Shelving Rock, and Prospect Mountain.
Recreationists also enjoy year-round activities on Lake George, and popular fishing and camping locations at Lily Pond, Jabe Pond, Gay Pond and Palmer Pond. The Lake George Wild Forest is a popular area for motorized recreational uses and ice fishing, and serves as an important link with the adjoining snowmobile trail network. In addition, the Hudson River Recreation Area of the Lake George Wild Forest enables the public to experience a unique flatwater environment and other recreation opportunities along this historic waterway.
Draft UMP (November 2006)
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) released the Draft Unit Management Plan (UMP) for the Lake George Wild Forest for public review and comment in November 2006. A public meeting was held on Wednesday, December 13th at the Queensbury Center Meeting room at 742 Bay Road in the town of Queensbury, NY. The meeting allowed Department staff to present a slide show detailing some of the proposals in the Draft UMP and provided the public with an opportunity to comment on the Draft UMP.
The public comment period for the Lake George Wild Forest Draft UMP closed January 17, 2007.
Lake George Wild Forest Draft Unit Management Plan (PDF) (15.2 MB - This file is very large and may take a long time to download or even cause some computers to crash. As an alternative, you may download individual sections below).
Sections for Easier Downloading:
- Preface to Section VII (Special Management Area Plans) (PDF) (1.01 MB)
- Section VII (Maps - Special Management Area Plans) (PDF) (976 KB)
- Section VII (Map - Proposed Snowmobile Trail Reroute) (PDF) (1.19 MB)
- Section VII (Map - Motorized Access Program for People With Disabilities Motor Vehicle Roads) (PDF) (1.55 MB)
- Section VII (Map - Proposed Eddy Mtn. Foot Trail) (PDF) (1.25 MB)
- Acronyms, Bibliography, and Appendices I-X) (PDF) (225 KB)
- Appendix II (Breeding Bird Atlas Map) (PDF) (1.49 MB)
- Existing Facility Map - May 2001 (PDF) (667 KB)
- Existing Facility Map - March 2006 (PDF) (754 KB)
- Potential Deer Yards Map (PDF) (1.4 MB)
- Wetlands Map (PDF) (1.74 MB)
- Invasive Map (PDF) (2.8 MB)
- LGWF Snowmobile Trails & Shelving Rock Trail System Maps (PDF) (700 KB)
If you have questions and/or comments about this UMP, please email us.