Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council
The Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council (GLBAC) is a statutory body that was created in 1988 to assist New York State in its effort to protect the environmental, social and economic health of the Great Lakes region. The Council advises the Governor and DEC's Commissioner regarding New York's role in regional, federal, and international water quality issues, and functions as a link between the government and the public.
Diverse statewide interests are represented in council deliberations by its thirteen public and six agency members. Members are appointed by the Governor and the Legislature. Council members are selected as follows: nine are appointed by the Governor; three are from the environmental sector; three are from the business/labor sector; and three are from the local government sector. Two members are appointed by the State Senate: two are State Assembly appointees; six are representatives from NYS agencies (Health, DEC, Transportation, Power Authority, State, & Economic Development); and four are non-voting observers from NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Places, Office of Emergency Management, Great Lakes Research Consortium, and NY Sea Grant. These members report annually to the Governor and the Legislature.
Role of the Council
The GLBAC was formed to:
- Review and make recommendations on any comprehensive Great Lakes Management Plan developed by DEC;
- Develop legislative recommendations;
- Assess land acquisition needs for purposes of wildlife habitat, coastal management, public access, parks and historic preservation;
- Review and advise on proposals that come before the Council of Great Lakes Governors (CGLG);
- Assist in Funding priorities for NYS Great Lakes research and program needs; and
- Advise the Commissioner of the DEC concerning selection of projects to be funded by the NYS Great Lakes Protection Fund.
The Council reports periodically to the Governor, the State Legislature, and to the Commissioner of DEC.
Funding Priorities 2007-2008 (41 KB PDF)
More about Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council:
- Recommendations for Implementing the Great Lakes - St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact - The Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council has issued its final report to the New York State Legislature concerning management of Great Lakes water resources.