Wilmington Wild Forest - Unit Management Plan
The Wilmington Wild Forest (WWF), formerly a sub-unit of the much larger Taylor Pond Wild Forest, consists of 14,000 acres of state forest preserve lands in Towns of Wilmington, Jay and Keene in Essex County and the Town of Black Brook in Clinton County. The core area of the Wilmington Wild Forest is located on the east-facing slopes of Whiteface Mountain between the Whiteface Mountain Ski Center, the Whiteface Veterans' Memorial Highway, Route 431 and Route 86. Another large segment - the Stephenson Range Tract - lies north of Route 431 and Gillespie Drive and south of the Forestdale Road. Smaller, isolated segments include the Hamlin Mountain, Clements Mountain, and Beaver Brook Tracts, as well as a segment near the hamlet of Black Brook. The area offers numerous recreational opportunities, including hiking, camping, mountain biking, rock climbing, fishing and hunting in the warmer months, and cross country skiing, ice climbing, trapping and snowmobiling in the winter months. The West Branch AuSable River - world renowned for trout fishing - runs adjacent to portions of the wild forest.
A Unit Management Plan (UMP) for the Wilmington Wild Forest was completed in 2005. Please select a link below to download a copy of the plan. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Wilmington Wild Forest Unit Management Plan (pdf, 10 MB). This is a large document and may be slow to download. As an alternative you may download specific sections using the links below.
Sections for easier downloading:
Appendix 14 - Unit Maps:
- Map 1 - Proposed Snowmobile Trail Alternatives (pdf, 210 KB)
- Map 2 - Beaver Brook Tract Mountain Bike Trails (pdf, 175 KB)
- Map 3 - The Flume Mountain Bike and Nordic Ski Trails (pdf, 886 KB)
- Map 4 - Hardy Road Mountain Bike and X-Country Trail Network (pdf, 287 KB)
- Map 5 - General Soils (pdf, 916)
- Map 6 - Wetlands, West Kilns Area (pdf, 978 KB)
- Map 7 - Wetlands, Black Brook (pdf, 876 KB)
- Map 8 - Wetlands, Bonnieview Road (pdf, 778 KB)
- Map 9 - Wetlands, East Kilns Area (pdf, 407 KB)
- Map 10 - Wetlands, Hardy Road (pdf, 917 KB)
- Map 11 - Aquatic Invasive Plant Distribution (pdf, 106 KB)
- Map 12 - Invasive Species Distribution (pdf, 281 KB)
- Map 13 - Facilities (pdf, 685 KB)