Ferreira, Louis - Order, September 20, 2000
Order, September 20, 2000
STATE OF NEW YORK : DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION
In the Matter of
the Alleged Violation of Article 17 of the Environmental Conservation Law of the State of New York
and Title 6 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York
- by -
Case No. 3-463604
- Pursuant to Section 622.15 of Title 6 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York ("6 NYCRR") Staff of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation duly served a Notice of Hearing and Complaint upon the Respondent, LOUIS FERREIRA, by certified mail, return receipt requested.
- The Complaint asserted one cause of action. On December 6, 1998, the registration for the Respondent's (3-463604) facility located at RT 9D, RD1, Wappingers Falls, expired, and the Respondent has failed to voluntarily comply or submit clear evidence that this PBS facility is in compliance. Respondent has failed to register its petroleum bulk storage facility. Respondent is in violation of 6 NYCRR §612.2.
- The Notice of Hearing and Complaint stated that a pre-hearing conference was scheduled to take place on April 28, 2000 at 11:30am at the Region 3 Office of the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, located at 21 South Putt Corners Road, New Paltz, New York 12561-1696. The Notice included a statement that, pursuant to 6 NYCRR §622.15, a failure to timely answer or failure to attend a hearing or failure to attend a pre-hearing conference would result in a default under 6 NYCRR §622.15 and a waiver of Respondent's right to a hearing.
- The affidavit of April 3, 2000 states that the Respondent was served by placing a true and correct copy of the Notice of Hearing and Complaint in a secure postpaid wrapper addressed to Respondent and mailed to Respondent by certified mail return receipt requested. The associated return receipt indicates that the Notice of Hearing and Complaint were received by Respondent on April 4, 2000.
Staff documents by affirmation of Benjamin A. Conlon that:
(i) Respondent failed to appear at the pre-hearing conference;
(ii) Respondent failed to serve on the Department an answer within 20 days of its receipt of the Notice of Hearing and Complaint or otherwise timely manner;
(iii) the penalty imposed is appropriate based on the violation(s) and the duration of the violation(s); and
(iv) failure to answer a complaint or to appear at a pre-hearing conference are both grounds for a default judgment pursuant to 6 NYCRR §622.15.
NOW, THEREFORE, have considered this matter, it is ORDERED that:
- Pursuant to 6 NYCRR §622.15, Respondent is found to be in default.
- Respondent, Louis Ferreira, pay a civil penalty of Seven Thousand Five Hundred ($7,500.00) dollars.
- Within thirty (30) days of the Order, Respondent shall submit to the Department a completed application to register its petroleum bulk storage facility located at Route 9D, RD1, Wappingers Falls, as well as a certified check or money order in the amount of the registration fee(s) required under 6 NYCRR §612.3.
- Respondent permanently cease and desist from any and all future violations of the ECL and Rules and Regulations promulgated pursuant thereto.
- All communications from the Respondent to the Department concerning this order shall be made to the Department's Region 3 Director, 21 South Putt Corners Road, New Paltz, New York 12561-1696.
- The provisions, terms and conditions of this order shall bind the Respondent, his agents, servants, employees, successors and assigns and all persons, firms and corporations acting for or on behalf of the Respondent.
For the New York State Department
of Environmental Conservation
By: John P. Cahill, Commissioner
Dated: Albany, New York
September 20, 2000
Route 9D, RD1
Wappingers Falls, NY 12590
STATE OF NEW YORK
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION
In the Matter of
the Alleged violations of Article 17 of the New York State Environmental Conservation Law
and Parts 612 and 613 of the Official Compilation of
Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York by
RD 1, RT 9A
Wappingers Falls, NY 12590
Summary Report on Motion for Default Judgment
Case No. 3-463604
Pursuant to Title 6 of the Official Compilation of Codes Rules and Regulations of the State of New York, Section 622.15, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation ("Department") Staff ("Staff") has moved for a default judgment against Louis Ferreira RD 1, RT 9A, Wappingers Falls, NY 12590 (the "Respondent").
Staff made its motion on or about August 7, 2000 by sending to Louis Ferreira, the Respondent, the following papers:
A Notice of Motion for Default Judgment dated August 7, 2000; a Motion for Default Judgment; an Affirmation in Support of Motion for Default Judgment; and an unsigned Order; and by filing, on or about August 7, 2000, said documents with the Department's Office of Hearings and Mediation Services.
Respondent's response to Staff's Motion was due on August 21, 2000 pursuant to 6 NYCRR §622.6, presuming Respondent is entitled to an additional 5 days when service is made by ordinary mail and excluding Saturdays, Sundays and the public holiday.
No response to the motion has been received from the Respondent as of the date of this Summary Report.
Section 622.15, "Default procedures" provides in pertinent part:
"(b) The motion for a default judgment may be made orally on the record or in writing and must contain:
"(1) Proof of service upon the respondent of the notice of hearing and complaint or such other document which commenced the proceeding;
"(2) Proof of the respondent's failure to appear or failure to file a timely answer; and
"(3) A proposed order.
"(c) Upon a finding by the ALJ that the requirements of subdivision (b) have been adequately met, the ALJ will submit a summary report, which will be limited to a description of the circumstances of the default, and the proposed order to the commissioner. ..."
The following Findings are based upon the papers submitted, as identified above.
- On April 3, 2000, Staff sent a Notice of Hearing and Complaint to Mr. Louis Ferreira the Respondent.
- An Affidavit of Service indicates that the Notice of Hearing and Complaint was placed in a secure postpaid wrapper addressed to LOUIS FERREIRA, RT. 9D, RD1, Wappingers Falls, NY 12590 and mailed via certified mail (PS Form 3800 attached) with a return receipt card (PS Form 3811 attached) indicating Article Number 309288396.
- The receipt for the aforesaid mailing was returned to Staff, indicating the mail was received April 4, 2000 and signed by Maryellen Herzhog.
- As of August 7, 2000 (the date of the motion papers), Louis Ferreira had not responded to the Notice of Hearing and Complaint.
- The requirements for a default judgement have been adequately met as prescribed by 6 NYCRR §622.15(b).
The motion for a default judgement can be granted as proposed. This Summary Report and Staff's proposed Order (attached hereto) can be referred to the Commissioner for final determination.
Francis W. Serbent
Dated: September 13, 2000
Albany, New York