Climate Smart Communities Certification Program
Guidance and Recognition
Certified Climate Smart Communities proudly display
their plaques (photo NYSDEC)
The Climate Smart Communities Certification (CSC) program provides local governments with a robust framework to guide their climate action and enables high-performing communities to achieve recognition for their leadership. Designed around the existing ten pledge elements, the certification program recognizes communities for their accomplishments through a rating system leading to four levels of award: Certified, Bronze, Silver and Gold.
New York currently has nine certified Climate Smart Communities.
Bronze-level Certified: Village of Dobbs Ferry; City of Kingston; Ulster County
Certified: City of Albany; Town of Cortlandt; Orange County; City of Watervliet; Town of East Hampton; Town of Mamaroneck
Communities Can Get Started Now
- Step 1. Designate a local Project Coordinator and Notify the Office of Climate Change.
- Step 2. Review the CSC Certification First Steps Guide (PDF, 333KB).
- Step 3. Estimate anticipated points and stay organized with the CSC Certification Workbook; email the Office of Climate Change to request this document.
- Step 4. Collect required documentation, as described in the Workbook.
- Step 5. Email completed your completed CSC Certification Workbook and supporting documentation to the Office of Climate Change.
The CSC Certification Manual describes more than 120 individual action communities can take to earn points toward certification. Communities may submit documentation to the Office of Climate Change for more than 100 of these actions now. Review procedures for the remaining actions are under development and those actions will be added to the list of reviewable actions in the near future.
DEC has recorded a video tutorial (14 minutes, link opens in WebEx Network Recording Player. This may take some time to open.) to demonstrate the functionality of the CSC Certification Workbook.
The certification program designates 13 of these actions as priority actions. Local governments are encouraged to lay a foundation for local climate action by initially focusing on completion and documentation of priority actions. However, CSCs are welcome to submit documentation of any of the more than 100 currently reviewable actions as indicated in the Certification Manual Action Checklist.
Certification First Steps (see link at right) provides instructions for submitting action documentation to the Office of Climate Change and provides detailed information about the 13 priority actions.
Rating System and Actions
The rating system includes a variety of actions that can have an effect on reducing greenhouse gas emissions, enhancing local resilience, or building a green economy. It is based on the following features:
- Is Broadly Applicable - Applicable and useful to all local governments in New York State
- Is User Friendly - Program features an easy to navigate menu‐based system, which allows local governments to select actions that are most appropriate to their local needs
- Acknowledges Early Adopters - Jurisdictions can earn points for actions implemented before the release of the rating system
- Promotes Ongoing Action - The framework and overall program are designed to drive ongoing action toward achieving goals
- Rewards Leaders - Bonus points can be awarded for those that are able to demonstrate performance improvements or innovative strategies
The certification manual describes more than 120 actions for which CSCs can receive points toward certification and higher award levels. Thirteen of these actions have been designated as "priority" actions and a specified number of these actions is required to attain each level of achievement.
Points will also be awarded for actions that were accomplished prior to participation in this program. However, to receive points for any of the actions, CSCs will be required to submit appropriate documentation.
Recertification of completed actions will be required every five years.
Details of the program and the specific documentation required for each action are described in the CSC Certification Manual (also divided into parts/pledge elements for easier downloading):
- Climate Smart Communities Certification Manual in Full (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Certification Manual Introduction and Program Requirements (PDF, 384 KB)
- Certification Manual Pledge Element 1 (PDF, 245 KB)
- Certification Manual Pledge Element 2 (PDF, 278 KB)
- Certification Manual Pledge Element 3 (PDF, 671 KB)
- Certification Manual Pledge Element 4 (PDF, 278 KB)
- Certification Manual Pledge Element 5 (PDF, 348 KB))
- Certification Manual Pledge Element 6 (PDF, 523 KB)
- Certification Manual Pledge Element 7 (PDF, 674 KB)
- Certification Manual Pledge Element 8 (PDF, 334 KB)
- Certification Manual Pledge Element 9 (PDF, 226 KB)
- Certification Manual Pledge Element 10 (PDF, 209 KB)
- Certification Manual Innovation Bonus (PDF, 183 KB)
- Certification Manual Performance Bonus (PDF, 236 KB)
- Certification Manual Action Checklist (PDF, 215 KB)
More about Climate Smart Communities Certification Program:
- Certification Program Priority Actions - Provides detailed information about the 13 priority actions of the certification program.