CSC Regional Coordinators Pilot Program
The New York State Climate Smart Community (CSC) Regional Coordinators Pilot Program was created in 2012 to test the effectiveness of hands-on, technical support and guidance in facilitating selection, development and implementation of successful local climate action programs. During the three-year pilot, four coordinators worked directly with communities in specified geographic areas of the state: Long Island, Mid-Hudson, Capital District and Central New York. One coordinator provided assistance to communities outside the pilot regions and coordinated regional greenhouse gas inventory efforts, and another coordinator provided deep expertise in land-use and transportation planning techniques and outcomes to support the work of all the coordinators. These six coordinator positions were filled by organizations highly qualified in planning, design, engineering and other disciplines essential to successful local community actions.
By the conclusion of the three-year pilot in November 2015, the CSC Regional Coordinators held 500 one-on-one meetings with communities and conducted hundreds of trainings and presentations across New York State. Sixty new Climate Smart Communities were enrolled into the program, 89 local climate action plans were finalized and hundreds of greenhouse gas inventories were completed. The CSC Regional Coordinators also created tools, guidance documents and templates designed to help local governments reduce their emissions and adapt to a changing climate; these resources are now available to all communities via the CSC program.
Strategies and lessons learned from the CSC Regional Coordinator Pilot Program are informing New York's ongoing commitment to helping communities become more resilient and transition to clean energy. Direct technical support to local governments (from regional contractors funded by New York State) is expected to resume in the spring of 2016 under the New York State Community Partnership.
For further information about each of the CSC Coordinators that participated in the 2012-2015 pilot, please click on the links below.
More about CSC Regional Coordinators Pilot Program:
- Capital District CSC Coordinator - Information about CDRPC and services provided during the 2012-2015 pilot to CSCs in Albany, Columbia, Greene, Rensselaer, Saratoga and Schenectady counties
- Central New York CSC Coordinator - Information about CNYRPDB and services provided during the 2012-2015 pilot to CSCs in Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga and Oswego counties
- Long Island CSC Coordinator - Information about Cameron Engineering and services provided during the 2012-2015 pilot to CSCs in Nassau and Suffolk counties
- Mid-Hudson CSC Coordinator - Information about VHB and services provided during the 2012-2015 pilot to CSCs in Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster and Westchester counties
- Land Use and Transportation Planning CSC Coordinator - Information about Rutgers University and services provided during the 2012-2015 pilot
- Statewide (Outside of Pilot Regions) CSC Coordinator - Information about Climate Action Associates and services provided during the 2012-2015 pilot