Climate Action Plan Interim Report
Executive Order No. 24 set a goal to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in New York State by 80 percent below the levels emitted in 1990 by the year 2050. The Executive Order also created the New York State Climate Action Council (CAC) with a directive to prepare a climate action plan. The climate action plan would assess how all economic sectors can reduce greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to climate change. The Plan would also identify the extent to which such actions support New York's goals for a clean-energy economy.
Climate Action Council
The New York Climate Action Council (CAC) consisted of 15 state agency heads or representatives of the Executive Chamber. The CAC was responsible for meeting all goals set forth in Executive Order 24.
The public comment period for the New York State Climate Action Plan Interim Report has closed. Please address requests to review comments received to the contact for this page at right.
On November 9, 2010, the CAC released an Interim Report that had been prepared with assistance from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), and other CAC member-agency staff, the Center for Climate Strategies (CCS) and other stakeholders. A New York State greenhouse gas emissions inventory and forecast was also prepared.
The CAC convened three external advisory panels to assist and advise in areas requiring special expertise or knowledge: Technical Analysis, Multi-sector Integration and 2050 Visioning. The 2050 Visioning Advisory Panel, the Integration Advisory Panel and five Technical Work Groups (TWGs) provided direct input to the CAP Interim Report.
Available below, the Interim Report is presented by sections and chapters and, following this list, as a compiled report in three sections.
The size of each file is indicated in brackets. All documents are in 'pdf' format and require Adobe Reader.
Introductory Sections and Chapters
- Cover (PDF) (1 page, 191 KB)
- Photo Credit (PDF) (1 page, 56 KB)
- Members of the New York State Climate Action Council (PDF) (1 page, 78 KB)
- Executive Summary (PDF) (6 pages, 652 KB)
- Overview (PDF) (53 pages, 3.1 MB]
- Chapter 1. (PDF) Background (9 pages, 280 KB)
- Chapter 2. (PDF) Climate Projections and Vulnerabilities (24 pages, 2.4 MB)
- Chapter 3. (PDF) Inventory and Forecast of New York State's Greenhouse Gas Emissions (15 pages, 407 KB)
- Chapter 4. (PDF) Envisioning a Low-Carbon Future - 2050 (7 pages, 266 KB)
- Chapter 5. (PDF) Overview of Mitigation Policy Development (13 pages, 397 KB)
- Chapter 6. (PDF) Residential, Commercial/Institutional and Industrial Mitigation (34 pages, 470 KB)
- Chapter 7. (PDF) Transportation and Land Use Mitigation (33 pages, 533 KB)
- Chapter 8. (PDF) Power Supply and Delivery Mitigation (30 pages, 699 KB)
- Chapter 9. (PDF) Agriculture, Forestry, and Waste Management Mitigation (27 pages, 430 KB)
- Chapter 10. (PDF) Research and Development Needs to Achieve a Low-Carbon Economy (26 pages, 323 KB)
- Chapter 11. (PDF) Adapting to Climate Change (86 pages, 578 KB)
- Chapter 12. (PDF) Multi-Sector Policies and Issues (12 pages, 235 KB)
- Chapter 13. (PDF) Stimulating a Clean Energy Economy in New York (23 pages, 553 KB)
- Chapter 14. (PDF) National and Regional Action and Coordination (18 pages, 235 KB)
- Chapter 15. (PDF) Acronyms and Abbreviations (6 pages, 164 KB)
- A. Executive Order Establishing the New York Climate Action Council (PDF) (4 pages, 115 KB)
- B. Description of New York State Climate Action Council Process (PDF) (7 pages, 166 kb]
- C. Members of the Integration Advisory Panel and Technical Work Groups (PDF) (7 pages, 139 KB)
- D. Overview of Current New York State Climate and Energy Policies (PDF) (4 pages, 122 KB)
- E. Methods for Quantification (PDF) (38 pages, 476 KB)
- F. 2050 Visioning: Brookhaven National Laboratory Report (PDF) (43 pages, 646 KB)
- G. Electric Vehicle Workgroup Report (PDF) (11 pages, 231 KB)
- H. ClimAID Summary Report (58 pages, 5.7 MB) (Note: This appendix originally linked to the draft report dated November 11, 2010. This report Responding to Climate Change in New York was finalized in November, 2011 and can be viewed at the NYSERDA link on right)
New York State Climate Action Plan Interim Report - Compiled Parts
- Interim Report Executive Summary and Overview (PDF) (59 pages, 4.0 MB)
- Interim Report Part 1 (PDF)- Cover, Introductory Sections and Chapters 1 - 15 (428 pages, 11.8 MB)
- Interim Report Part 2 (PDF) - Appendices A through H (215 pages, 8.0 MB) (Note: Part 2 includes the original draft ClimAID Summary Report dated Novemer 11, 2010)
- Adaptation Technical Work Group Recommendations (PDF) (144 pages, 919 KB)