Draft SGEIS on the Oil, Gas and Solution Mining Regulatory Program (September 2009)
Well Permit Issuance for Horizontal Drilling and High-Volume Hydraulic Fracturing to Develop the Marcellus Shale and Other Low-Permeability Gas Reservoirs
The Draft Supplemental Generic Environmental Impact Statement (SGEIS) for potential natural gas drilling activities in the Marcellus Shale formation was issued September 30, 2009. The Draft SGEIS supplements the existing Generic Environmental Impact Statement (GEIS) and analyzes the range of potential impacts of shale gas development using horizontal drilling and high-volume hydraulic fracturing. It outlines safety measures, protection standards and mitigation strategies that operators would have to follow to obtain permits.
Comments - The public comment period closed December 31, 2009 and the Department evaluated the many comments received and issued a Revised Draft SGEIS (September 7, 2011)
2009 Document Availability - The individual chapters of the Draft SGEIS (September 2009) can be viewed as PDFs (see below). The entire 2009 Draft SGEIS document (PDF, 22.77 MB) is also available as a single PDF file. It can be downloaded and searched.
Paper copies of the 2009 document were available for review at a number of locations.
The Draft SGEIS was originally posted on September 30, 2009. Subsequent to that date typos were found and corrected. No textual changes were made. This document was posted on October 5, 2009.
On October 26, 2009 Chapter 5 was updated to include Photo 5.25. No textual changes were made.
Some of these are very large documents. Only print them if you really need to, and only those sections that you need. Double side all printing and copying jobs. For every ton of office paper use avoided, greenhouse gas emissions are reduced by more than 8 metric tons.
2009 Draft SGEIS Table of Contents
- Introduction (PDF, 122 KB)
- Description of Proposed Action (PDF, 696 KB)
- Proposed SEQRA Review Process (PDF, 180 KB)
- Geology (PDF, 2.97 MB)
- Natural Gas Development and High Volume Hydraulic Fracturing (PDF, 4.15 MB)
- Potential Environmental Impacts (PDF, 2.71 MB)
- Mitigation Measures (PDF, 648 KB)
- Permit Process and Regulatory Coordination (PDF, 151 KB)
- Alternatives (PDF, 153 KB)
More about Draft SGEIS on the Oil, Gas and Solution Mining Regulatory Program (September 2009):
- Locations Where Paper Copies of the 2009 Draft SGEIS Are Available to Read - This is a list of all of the locations in which a paper copy of the Draft SGEIS is available.
- Scope for the 2009 Draft Supplemental Generic Environmental Impact Statement on the Oil, Gas and Solution Mining Regulatory Program - The Department prepared a Final Scope which describes the topics related to well permit issuance for high-volume hydraulic fracturing that the Department identified for review in a draft Supplemental Generic Environmental Impact Statement ("dSGEIS").
- 2009 Scoping Meeting Transcripts - Transcripts of six public scoping sessions are available on this site.