Yearly State Leasing Data
2014 - State Land Oil and Gas Leasing
In 2014, DEC administered 79 leases on 44,464 acres of state land in Allegany, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Erie, Ontario, Schuyler, Seneca, and Steuben Counties. There were 237 wells located on and/or unitized with state land associated with 65 of these leases paying production royalties.
The 44,464 leased acres are unchanged from 2013.
Revenues from oil and gas leases on state lands totaled $361,568 in 2014, a decrease of $41,072 from 2013. The decrease in leasing revenues paid to the state is attributed primarily to the drop in oil and natural gas prices during 2014. The average price of oil decreased from $98.45/bbl in 2013 to $94.75/bbl in 2014, while the average wellhead price of natural gas decreased from $3.52/mcf in 2013 to $3.34/mcf in 2014.
Although nearly 59,000 acres of state land have been leased since 1999, only 37 (0.06%) of these acres have been disturbed by well drilling, access road and pipeline construction.
State Acreage Under Lease at Year-End 2014:
- DEC State Forests - 32,383 acres
- DEC Wildlife Management - 1,059 acres
- Other State Agencies - 11,022 acres
Historical Leasing Reports:
The Oil & Gas Leasing Reports are summaries of yearly oil and gas activity on state lands, including production and financial information. Leasing Reports for previous years may be obtained by contacting the Division of Mineral Resources. Beginning with calendar year 2012, these annual summaries are included in the Division's Annual Report.
- 2005 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (302 kB)
- 2006 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (419 kB)
- 2007 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (493 kB)
- 2008 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (118 kB)
- 2009 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (133 kB)
- 2010 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (222 kB)
- 2011 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (829 kB)