Yearly State Leasing Data
2011 - State Land Oil and Gas Leasing
In 2011, DEC administered 78 leases on 44,450 acres of state land in Allegany, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Erie, Ontario, Schuyler, Seneca, and Steuben Counties. There were 236 wells located on and/or unitized with state land associated with 63 of these leases paying production royalties.
The 44,450 leased acres represent a decrease of 19,227 acres from 2010, a result of the termination of all 16 leases associated with the 2006 State Lease Sale . These 16 leases expired on November 15, 2011, which was the end of their scheduled five-year Primary Term without any drilling activity having occurred during that period of time.
Revenues from oil and gas leases on State lands totaled $584,349 in 2011, a decrease of $161,785 from 2010. The decline in leasing revenues paid to the state can be attributed to the following factors:
- Expiration of all 16 leases associated with the 2006 State Lease Sale, which had been generating over $96,000 in annual delay rentals;
- Lack of subsequent State Lease Sale(s) to generate additional revenue;
- Reduced revenue from state lease wells related to production decline; and
- The lower average well head price of natural gas during 2011, which fell to $4.08/mcf during 2011 from $4.61/mcf in 2010.
Although nearly 59,000 acres of state land have been leased since 1999, only 37 (0.06%) of these acres have been disturbed by well drilling, access road and pipeline construction .
State Acreage Under Lease at Year-End 2011:
- DEC State Forests - 32,383 acres
- DEC Wildlife Management - 1,059 acres; and
- Other State Agencies - 11,450 acres.
Historical Leasing Reports:
The Oil & Gas Leasing Reports are summaries of yearly oil and gas activity on state lands, including production and financial information. Leasing Reports for previous years may be obtained by contacting the Division of Mineral Resources.
2005 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (302 kB)
2006 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (419 kB)
2007 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (493 kB)
2008 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (118 kB)
2009 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (133 kB)
2010 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (222 kB)
2011 Oil and Gas Leasing Report (PDF) (829 kB)