Consolidated SPDES Renewals
Brownfield Cleanup Program
60 North Fifth Street
City of Fulton, Oswego County
State of New York
Pursuant to ECL 27-1407 and 1417
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (Department) administers the Brownfield Cleanup Program pursuant to ECL 27-1400 et seq. The Brownfield Cleanup Program is designed to encourage the remediation of contaminated properties known as brownfields for reuse and redevelopment. The City of Fulton has submitted an application, dated January 28, 2004, to participate in the Brownfield Cleanup Program. The application was determined to be complete by the Department on February 4, 2004. The property described in the application is located at 60 North Fifth Street. The application proposes that the applicant will conduct investigation and/or remedial activities at the site. The application proposes that the site will be used for commercial purposes.
The Department will receive public comments concerning the application for thirty days, from February 18, 2004 through March 19, 2004. A copy of the application is available by contacting the Department’s representative at the address listed below or in the document repository for this site located at the Engineering Department of the City of Fulton, 141 South First Street, Fulton, New York.
All citizens are encouraged to offer comments in writing to:
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
Albany, New York 12233-7016
ATTN: David Smith
Phone #: (518) 402-9768
Thompkins County - The City of Ithaca, Department of Planning and Development, as lead agency, has accepted a Final Environmental Impact Statement on the proposed Demolition of Local Landmark – Former Ithaca Gas Works. The action involves the demolition of the former Ithaca Gas Works, later known as the Markles Flats Alternative School, at the northeast corner of West Court and North Plain Streets. Designated a local landmark under the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Ordinance in 1977, the building is significant for its association with prominent civic leaders of the mid-nineteenth century and reflects an important event in Ithaca’s early development, public street lighting. The existing building, the second gas works on the site, was constructed in 1899. Its steel frame and masonry construction reflect the early shift from traditional building technologies of the nineteenth century to modern twentieth century methods and materials. The demolition is part of an larger project NYSEG is undertaking to remove coal tar and contaminated soil from the site. This project is the subject of the Proposed Remedial Action Plan, Site No. 7-55-008 dated June 2003 and prepared by the Division of Environmental Remediation, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. The Remedial Investigation Report, April 23, 2003 and the May 9 2003 Focused Feasibility Study indicate that coal tar is likely located underneath the building. The location of the project area is at the northeast corner of the intersection of West Court and North Plain Streets.
At the meeting held on Tuesday, February 10, 2004, the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission adopted a resolution containing the determination that the fEIS is complete. The Commission will meet on March 11, 2004 at 7:00 p.m. in the City of Ithaca, Common Council Chambers, 108 East Green Street, Ithaca, New York.to consider the approval or denial of this action.
Contact:Leslie Chatterton, City of Ithaca, Department of Planning and Development, 108 East Green Street, Ithaca, New York 14850, phone: (607) 274-6550, fax: (607) 274-6558.