Cattaraugus County - The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, as lead agency, has determined that the proposed Tri-James Services, Inc. Maloy Farm Mine Modifications may have a significant adverse impact on the environment and a Draft Environmental Impact Statement must be prepared. The action consists of the addition of 20 acres to the existing/permitted 45.7 acre Maloy Farm Mine (sand, gravel and topsoil). The new area consists mostly of land that was improved for farming in accordance with the 1995 Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), as mitigation for loss of prime farm land caused by the approved mining operation. The currently proposed action includes a preliminary plan for replacement of the farm land mitigation. The action also includes adding an abandoned AT&T Right-Of-Way to the mine with relocation of the ROW for possible future communication cable replacement by AT&T, and the relocation of Tributary No. 2 of Mill Creek around the proposed mine addition. Mining is proposed to continue below the groundwater table, resulting in a lake with a total surface area of 45.3 acres. The project is located 2,100 feet west of NYS Route 60 and 600 feet southeast of Chautauqua County Route 52 with the mine entrance on Route 60, in the Town of Gerry. The proposed mine expansion area is located south and southeast of the existing mine boundaries.
Contact: Kenneth C. Taft, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 182 East Union, Suite 3, Allegany, New York 14706-1328, phone: (716) 372-0645.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (the Department), as lead agency, has scheduled a public scoping meeting to be held on May 2, 2001 at 7:00 p.m. at Newstead Fire Hall, 5691 Cummings Road, Akron, New York, for the purpose of determining the scope of the DEIS to be prepared for the County Line Stone Company, Inc., DEC No. 9-1456-00004/00013. Comments will be accepted until May, 9, 2001. The action involves a 156.8 acre expansion of an existing 234 acre limestone quarry. Additionally, an 11.8 acre area within the quarry, which was previously mined prior to April 1,1975, is proposed for further mining. The limestone is used for agricultural lime, concrete aggregate and asphalt pavement. As part of this action, the existing mine and expansion area would be mined to a depth of 111 feet near the north end and 150 feet near the south end, up to 110 feet deeper than the existing 40 to 50 foot mining depth. It is planned that Schurr Road be abandoned by the Town of Newstead and mined through by quarry activity. There are existing utilities (brine lines, a fiber optic cable, a power line and a petroleum pipeline) which cross the expansion area, and the applicant is negotiating with easement owners to relocate the line to allow for the mine expansion. The proposed project will impact approximately 11.2± acres of wetlands. As part of the wetland mitigation plan, a depleted sand and gravel pit, formerly operated by Pine Hill Materials Corporation, and located near the intersection of Siehl and Crittenden Roads, will be developed into a wetland. At the end of the project’s assumed 75-year life, the mine will be reclaimed to two connected lakes totaling about 300 acres. The existing quarry is located in the Town of Newstead west of County Line Road, east of Crittenden Road and south of Schurr Road. The proposed horizontal expansion area is to the north of Schurr Road and south of the New York State Thruway 1-90.
Contact: Michael J. McMurray, NYSDEC, 270 Michigan Avenue, Buffalo, New York 14203-2999, phone:(716) 851-7165, Fax:(716) 851-7168, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org