ENB - Region 2 Notices 4/27/2011
Positive Declaration and Public Scoping
New York County (Manhattan) - The New York City Planning Commission, as lead agency, has determined that the proposed New York University Core may have a significant adverse impact on the environment and a Draft Environmental Impact Statement must be prepared. Written comments on the draft scope will be accepted June 6, 2011. A public scoping session will be held on May 24, 2011 at 2:00 p.m. at the New York City Department of City Planning, Spector Hall, City Planning Department, 22 Reade Street, New York, NY 10025. Copies of the Draft Scope of Work and the Environmental Assessment Statement may be obtained from Robert Dobruskin, New York City Department of City Planning, Environmental Assessment and Review Division, 22 Reade Street, Room 4E, New York, NY 10007, Phone: (212) 720-3423; or from Robert Kulikowski, Office of Environmental Coordination, 253 Broadway, 14th Floor, New York, NY 10007, Phone: (212) 788-2937. The Draft Scope of Work and scoping protocol will also be made available for download at: www.nyc.gov/planning.
The action involves a proposal by the applicant, New York University (NYU), to construct the following developments in the Proposed Development Area, over approximately 19 years:
• Four new NYU buildings that would include academic uses, residential units for NYU faculty and students, a new athletic facility, a possible University-oriented hotel with ancillary conference/academic space, and retail uses.
• A below-grade academic use spanning the distance between LaGuardia Street and Mercer Streets.
• Approximately four acres of publicly accessible open space.
• An approximately 30,000 gross square foot temporary gymnasium, which would operate until the opening of the proposed new athletic center.
• Below-grade replacement parking facilities.
• NYU anticipates making space available to the New York City School Construction Authority (SCA) for the provision of an approximately 100,000 square foot public school.
By 2031, the Proposed Actions would result in the development of approximately 2.5 million gross square feet of new uses in the Proposed Development Area. Within the Commercial Overlay Area, it is anticipated that NYU would develop up to approximately 24,000 gross square foot of neighborhood retail uses in the ground floors of five NYU buildings.
The project is located near Washington Square in Manhattan, Community District 2, New York. The project area for the Proposed Actions includes: a "Proposed Development Area," bounded by LaGuardia Place to the west, Mercer Street to the east, West Houston Street to the south, and West Third Street to the north, where substantial new development is proposed on two superblocks as part of NYU's master plan; a "Commercial Overlay Area," bounded by Washington Square East and University Place to the west, Mercer Street to the east, West Fourth Street to the south, and the northern boundary of the existing R7-2 zoning district near East 8th Street to the north, where the Proposed Actions would permit greater flexibility in ground-floor retail uses, and are expected to result in limited conversion of ground-floor uses in existing buildings to retail use; and a "Block 535 Demapping Area," where no new development is proposed, but where NYU seeks to acquire the property that contains its 251 Mercer Street cogeneration facility below-grade.
Contact: Robert Dobruskin, New York City Department of City Planning, 22 Reade Street, New York, NY 10025, Phone: (212)720-3423, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.