ENB Region 2 Completed Applications 11/12/2008
Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corp
633 Third Ave - 33RD Fl
New York, NY 10017
Brooklyn Bridge Park
Atlantic Ave to Jay St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Permit(s) Applied for:
Article 25 Tidal Wetlands
Section 401 - Clean Water Act Water Quality Certification
Article 15 Title 5 Excavation & Fill in Navigable Waters
Project is Located:
Brooklyn, Kings County
The applicant proposes, in conjunction with the construction of the 85-acre Brooklyn Bridge Park, the following specific actions that fall within the jurisdiction of the Department under the laws and regulations listed in this notice above:
- Reconstruction and reconfiguration of Piers 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6, and the associated upland waterfrontareas, including shoreline structure repair, removal, and construction, fill removal, and regrading
- Wetland creation/restoration at the former Pier 4 area and at other locations within the Park
- Installation of floating wave attenuation structures between Piers 1, 2, 3, and the former Pier 4 area, and wave fence breakwater structures between Piers 3 and 4, Piers 4 and 5, and south of Pier 1
- Construction of a 186-slip marina between Piers 4 and 5
- Construction of three water taxi landing facilities
- Construction of eight new stormwater outfalls and reconstruction of two existing outfalls
Brooklyn Bridge Park is located on the Brooklyn waterfront along the East River, and runs from Atlantic Avenue north to Jay Street.
A full description and drawings of the Brooklyn Bridge Park project may be found in the Final Environmental Impact Statement, which can be viewed at http://www.empire.state.ny.us/bbpdc/ .
Availability of Application Documents:
Filed application documents, and Department draft permits where applicable, are available for inspection during normal business hours at the address of the contact person. To ensure timely service at the time of inspection, it is recommended that an appointment be made with the contact person.
State Environmental Quality Review (SEQR) Determination:
A draft environmental impact statement has been prepared on this project and is on file.
SEQR Lead Agency: NYS Empire State Development
State Historic Preservation Act (SHPA) Determination:
A cultural resources survey has been completed. Based on information provided in the survey report, the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) has determined that the proposed activity will have no impact on registered or eligible archaeological sites or historic structures. No further review in accordance with SHPA is required.
This project is located in a Coastal Management area and is subject to the Waterfront Revitalization and Coastal Resources Act.
Opportunity for Public Comment:
Comments on this project must be submitted in writing to the Contact Person no later than Nov 26, 2008.
Harold J Dickey
NYSDEC Region 2 Headquarters
47-40 21ST St
Long Island City, NY 11101