Outdoor Skills Adventure Week
Pack Forest's Newest Camp Week
Just announced for 2014, campers age 11 to 13 will have an opportunity to attend a new Outdoor Skills Adventure Week this summer. The DEC summer camp program has added an eighth week, August 17 to 23, at Camp Pack Forest in Warrensburg.
This special week of camp will offer opportunities for youth to hone their outdoor skills through a variety of activities. Areas of instruction and demonstration will include:
- fishing seminars
- turkey calling
- field archery
- wildlife identification
- fly casting and a casting competition
- hunting dog demonstration
- electronic wildlife tracking
- field dressing demonstration
- night-time animal tracking
- fur handling and preparation
- orienteering and Global Positioning System cache searching
- demonstration and safe use of fire arms and a muzzleloading demonstration
- Environmental Conservation Officer and Forest Ranger career explorations.
Besides the highly trained camp staff, professionals from DEC, such as conservation officers, forest rangers, fishing instructors, sportsman educators and biologists will be on hand to assist with some of the classes. Campers will have opportunities to learn outdoor skills through hands-on experiences in a safe and fun atmosphere. This week focuses on extensive field and outdoor recreation adventures, and campers will be provided information on how they can attend Sportsman Education classes in their local communities.
Please note that there will no Sportsman Education class offered during this special week at camp.
To sign up for this exciting new week at camp visit our online registration site or click on the "register button" to use our online system and pick the week that's best for your child.