Arbor Day Poster Contest Rules
New York State Arbor Day Poster Contest Rules
- Submit entry by designated deadline of December 23, 2016 to your NYS Regional DEC Office.
- Each school should select a school winner and submit the original poster with the School Winner Report Form (PDF, 165 KB).
- All entries must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the fifth grade. A student may enter the contest only once.
- Entries must be done on paper with sufficient clarity to allow for duplication, display, and framing. The final winner's artwork will be printed on the NYS Arbor Day bookmark and also made into a children's poster to be distributed statewide.
- The student's first and last name must be written or signed in the lower right- hand corner on the front of the poster.
- a) Entries may be done in marker, crayon, paint pens, watercolor, ink, acrylic, colored pencil, and/or tempera paint.
b) Collages are not acceptable. (Do not glue anything on your poster.)
c) Computer or photo generated art and/or printing is not acceptable.
d) Entries should not display the names of commercial products, companies, or organizations.
- Entries must be no smaller than 8 ½" x 11" and no larger than 14" x 18."
- The poster must be related to the contest theme in some way. The theme: Defend New York's Forests must be on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- Entries should not be matted, mounted, laminated, framed, or folded.
Tips for a winning poster:
- Use eye-catching colors but in moderation.
- Write clearly.
- Artwork must be reproducible on a bookmark.
- Science & Art teacher collaboration are encouraged.
NYS DEC Urban Forestry staff invite your feedback on the NYS Arbor Day Poster Contest activities. Feel free to mail your constructive comments to:
NYS Arbor Day Poster Contest
Division of Lands & Forests
Albany, NY 12233-4253
or via email