From the Spring 2011 Conservationist for Kids
I LOVE NY's Top Ten Green Travel Destinations in New York State
By Gina Jack
New York State has many green places to visit, like parks, nature centers and campgrounds. Green Heart NY has designated New York State's top ten green destinations.
- Niagara Falls State Park
- Letchworth State Park
- Taughannock State Park
- Waterways of the Thousand Islands
- Adirondack Park
- Roosevelt Baths and Spa
- Catskill Scenic Trail
- Storm King Art Center
- Empire State Building
- Fire Island National Seashore
Can you match the descriptions below to the sites they describe?
- At 215 feet, the waterfall here plunges further than Niagara Falls.
- The "Sunken Forest" at this seaside park is a rare ecological community.
- This stretch of former rail line has been transformed into a hiking trail.
- Visitors come here to "take the waters."
- This world-famous office tower is increasing its energy efficiency and serving as a model to others.
- This park is known as the "Grand Canyon of the East."
- This outdoor art gallery celebrates sculpture and nature together.
- This massive waterfall attracts visitors from around the world and is the oldest state park in the U.S.
- This park is known for the "Forty-Sixers," people who have climbed all 46 of its High Peaks.
- Boats large and small travel this waterway connecting the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean.
Green New York:
New York State has 70,000 miles of rivers and streams, some 4,000 lakes and ponds, and 2.4 million acres of wetlands.
- It is the only state in the nation with ocean, estuarine and Great Lakes coastline.
- Forests cover 18.6 million of New York's 30 million total acres, equaling 62% of the state.
- The Adirondack Park is larger than Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Great Smoky, and Everglades National Parks combined.
Answers to matching activity: 1=c, 2=j, 3=g, 4=f, 5=i, 6=b, 7=h, 8=a, 9=e, 10=d