Wildfire Academy Goals and Objectives
The Academy's goal is to provide for a safe learning environment for Wildland Firefighters and Incident Managers and to foster greater networking opportunities and partnerships between participants from federal, state, and local agencies.
To aid in achieving this objective, the NYWIMA is managed to mirror an actual incident utilizing the Incident Management System (ICS) under the direction of an Incident Management Team (IMT). The IMT reflects the interagency and cooperative nature of today's incident management philosophy with team members coming from federal, state, and local agencies.
- Train students to National Wildfire Coordinating Standards (NWCG).
- Develop qualified trainers and instructors for Wildfire and Incident Management Courses.
- Develop awareness of fire management and fire fighting safety among fire fighting organizations and public officials.
- Encourage interagency cooperation, coordination, exchange of experience, education and technology transfer from all levels of government.
- Develop a group of interagency leaders to build upon the first four goals in the metropolitan New York and Northeast Region.