Workshops for Educators
Annual Teacher Institutes
Five Rivers EEC, Reinstein Woods EEC and the NYC Environmental Education program host week-long teacher institutes during the summer. Please check out the teacher institutes web page for more information.
The Department offers professional development workshops for educators and youth leaders. Offered at various locations throughout the state, these multi-disciplinary workshops offer participants a curriculum guide, an opportunity to experience activities first-hand and receive a variety of support materials.
PLT (Project Learning Tree) is an interdisciplinary, hands-on curriculum that uses the forest as a window on the world. The Early Childhood, Pre K-8 guide and seven secondary modules for grades 9-12 accompany the associated three- to six- hour workshops. The Pre K-8 guide is correlated to Common Core State Standards in both Math and English Language Arts, the Next Generation Science Standards, STEM concepts, and FOSS Kits.
Project WILD (Wildlife in Learning Design), Aquatic WILD, Flying WILD, Growing Up WILD workshops, featuring wildlife, are offered as three- to six-hour workshops funded in New York State by Return a Gift to Wildlife. Aquatic WILD was updated in 2013 and now includes STEM connections, Career Readiness, and is correlated to the Next Generation Science Standards. Growing Up WILD now includes adding a cost to receive the guides, usually $25-$30.
Project WET 2.0 (Water Education for Teachers) is a multi-disciplinary water-based curriculum and available in a three- to six-hour workshop. WET 2.0 was updated in 2012 and now includes correlations to Common Core State Standards in Math and English Language Arts and Next Generation Science Standards. It also includes connections to STEM, Science Career Readiness, and reading opportunities.
Hudson River Workshops introduce study of the Hudson using interdisciplinary standards-based classroom lessons, remote sensing data on the World Wide Web, and field activities. Typically three to six hours long, their timing and content are customized to meet the needs of participants.
More about Workshops for Educators :
- Upcoming Educator Workshops - Current listing of workshops offered around New York State
- PLT (Project Learning Tree ) - Designed to help educators acquire an awareness and knowledge of the natural world, especially forest ecosystems.
- Project WILD - Helping educators prepare students to develop problem-solving skills in exploring responsible human actions toward wildlife and the environment.
- Project WET (Water Education for Teachers) - Collection of innovative, water-related activities that are hands-on, easy to use and fun!
- Hudson River Workshops - Available from New York City to the Capital Region around Albany, these trainings show how study of the Hudson River estuary can be a context for teaching STEM skills, English language arts, and social studies.