Sponsoring Youth to Camp
A How-to for Organizations
Pack Forest campers during Hunter Safety
What do I do if I do not have a computer or internet access for online registration? If you are a sponsor, ask a member of your organization with a computer and internet access to set up the organization's account using a credit card, e-check or gift card, which are available at many grocery chain stores. You can go to the public library and set up a free e-mail account through AOL, Yahoo, or G-Mail. Once you have the account, you can go on-line to create your account and deposit your funds via e-check or credit card. You do not need to have a computer or home access to the internet. If you have a tablet or smartphone, look for locations with free internet access such as chain restaurants and coffee shops. You can pay via e-check or credit card. If none of these options are available, please contact our staff at 518-402-8014.
- The new online registration system is now available to sponsors to update the accounts we set up for you
- Camp will run for seven weeks, starting June 29, 2014
- Campers who are 11 now may attend camp (must be minimum age by December 1, 2014). In order to accommodate the younger campers, we have shifted the age groups for the two programs. Youth camp is now for 11-13 years old and Teen Ecology Camp is for 14-17 years old.
- Pack Forest will have six weeks of the 14-17 year old Teen Ecology program (Weeks 1-3 and 5-7)
- Camp Rushford will have two weeks of the 14-17 year old Teen Ecology program (Weeks 4 and 5)
- Visit the new camps Sportsman Education page to learn about the program at camps
- Individuals can now support DEC's camps by making a donation.
- Visit the Camp Weeks page to see what weeks camps runs and what Sportman Education classes are offered at each camp
- The fee for 2014 is still $350 a week
- Campers may attend more than one session of camp, however there is no overnight stays on Saturday. If campers choose to attend two weeks back-to-back, they must get picked up Saturday morning and be dropped off the next Sunday afternoon for check in. Each week at camp cost $350; full payment for all weeks is expected at the time of registration.
Since space is so limited, interested campers are urged to register early. If campers are attending more than one week of camp, payment for the additional weeks must be made when the camper is registered.
All four camps, Colby, Pack, DeBruce and Rushford, educate youth who are 11 to 13 years old. Pack Forest and Camp Rushford are also open to campers 14 to 17 years old during specific sessions. These older campers will participate in the DEC Teen Ecology Workshop. Campers must be the minimum age by December 1, 2013 in order to attend camp.
Any organization may sponsor campers. We encourage recreational organizations, sportsmen's clubs, environmental groups, school associations, houses of worship and civic groups to:
- select a qualified candidate who wants to spend a week at a DEC camp
- help the camper pay for the camp session
- invite the camper to a meeting of the organization to recount his or her camp experience.
- Parents who would like their child to be sponsored should bring the program to the attention of an organization in their area. If a sponsoring group is not available, parents may pay for the child's stay at DEC camp.
This page addresses sponsoring organizations only. If you are the parent of a potential camper, please refer to our How to Apply to Camp web page.
For more information, please call or write to: