Five Rivers Environmental Education Center
Explore the Path to Outdoor Learning...
Wood Duck Marsh
Five Rivers Environmental Education Center is a living museum comprising over 450 acres of broad fields, towering forests, and tranquil wetlands. Five Rivers offers people of all ages a rich variety of guided and self-guided opportunities to encounter nature directly. Stimulating interpretive programs and guided school lessons promote awareness, knowledge and appreciation of New York State's environment year 'round. With over 10 miles of trails for self-guided exploration, Five Rivers fosters discovery, spiritual refreshment and physical fitness through wholesome outdoor recreation.
Sign up for email updates from Five Rivers
Subscribe to the Five Rivers listserve to be notified of upcoming programs and events. First, use this link to subscribe to GovDelivery by entering your e-mail address. Fill in and submit the requested information on the "New Subscriber" page.
This will take you to the "Quick Subscription" page where you will see all the topics that you can receive email updates on from DEC. Scroll to the "Education and Outdoor Skills" category and check the box next to "Five Rivers EEC." You will receive a welcome email from DEC confirming your subscription(s).
There's Something for Everyone at Five Rivers!
Exhibit room has lots of hands-on activities for all ages
Grounds are open every day, year-round, from sunrise to sunset. You can picnic, walk (ski) the trails, and observe wildlife.
A charming Visitor Center is open Monday through Saturday, 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM; Sunday - Closed; closed on state holidays.
Don't miss the exhibit room and bird-watching window.
Wildlife to Watch for:
- Great place for birdwatching: 225 species, no waiting!
- Excellent chance for deer, squirrels and bluebirds, even in winter!
- Spring and fall migrations are definitely worth a gander!
- In summer, expect to also encounter turtles, geese, frogs and grassland bird specialties
- "Best Park For Nature" - Metroland, 2008
Blue Jays at the bird-watching window
Come, leave the parking lot behind and enter a different world. Listen for the plaintive notes of the eastern bluebird, sneak a glimpse of deer browsing in the fields and let the gentle rustle of the wind inform you. Share in the spirit of that "long green line" of conservationists at Five Rivers who still today carefully study the natural world and devote their lives to its stewardship.
All amenities of the Visitor Center, picnic area, Woodlot Trail and Nature's Backyard Trail are wheelchair accessible, as are several hard-surfaced interior routes.
Sign interpreters available upon request.
Braille, large print and audio format interpretive guides, wheelchairs and walkers available upon request.
A full list of DEC's accessible recreation destinations is available on the DEC website.
Five Rivers Environmental Education Center is located in Delmar, NY at 56 Game Farm Road. See Google Maps and enter your address for step by step directions to Five Rivers. (Shift-click this off-site link to open it in a new window)
More about Five Rivers Environmental Education Center:
- Five Rivers Public Programs and Events Schedule - Current programs offered at Five Rivers EEC.
- Hours and Services for Five Rivers Center - Hours and services available at the Five Rivers Environmental Education Center
- History of Five Rivers - History of how the Five Rivers Environmental Education came to be.
- Guided Lessons and Special Programs - Five Rivers offers many programs to both educators and schools.
- Directions to Five Rivers - Directions to Five Rivers from the north, south, east and west.
- Exploring Five Rivers Nature Trails - Take to the trails and enter a different world at Five Rivers EEC.