Environmental Cleanup & Brownfields
DEC's mission to promote and regulate environmental cleanup and safe brownfield redevelopment is accomplished through programs of the Division of Environmental Remediation.
A brownfield site is any real property, the redevelopment or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a contaminant. A contaminant may be hazardous waste and/or petroleum.
Promoting Site Cleanups
Original cover photo taken by
Bob McInnis. All rights reserved.
Technical Guidance and Policy on Investigations and Cleanups Overseen by DEC
- Environmental Cleanup Policy and Guidance
- Brownfield and Superfund Regulation
- Soil Cleanup Objective Tables
- Environmental Cleanup Projects in Your Region - projects under DEC oversight listed by New York State regions.
- Environmental Site Database Search - Search for information on all sites in DEC's cleanup programs.
- Calendar of Site Public Meetings and Comment Periods - All scheduled public meetings and comment periods for contaminated sites in DEC's cleanup programs.
Looking for More Information?
- NYS Brownfield Programs Email List - Sign up with GovDelivery to receive brownfield news and notifications from DEC via email (Check the "Brownfield Programs" box.)
- Contaminated Sites Email List - Sign up with GovDelivery to receive information about contaminated sites in your county via email.
- News and Events - The latest New York State brownfield news.
- Brownfield Redevelopment Toolbox, A Guide to Assist Communities in Redeveloping New York State's Brownfields (PDF) (1.22 mB, 45 page).
Need to Contact Local DEC Environmental Cleanup Staff?
More about Environmental Cleanup & Brownfields:
- DEC Brownfield and State Superfund Programs - An overview of the voluntary and mandatory environmental cleanup programs run by DEC.
- Environmental Site Database Search - Records of sites in DEC's environmental cleanup programs (i.e., State Superfund, Brownfield Cleanup, Spill Incidents, Bulk Storage etc.).
- Regional Remediation Project Information - Project information and reports involving cleanup programs in each Region throughout New York State.
- Environmental Data Submission - Instructions for reporting environmental data electronically to the DEC. Currently, some types of data can be submitted electronically to the Division of Environmental Remediation, the Division of Materials Management and the Division of Water.
- Chemical and Petroleum Spills - Information on the regulatory programs and requirements for bulk storage and spill response of petroleum and chemicals.
- Remediation Procurement Opportunities - Contracts advertised for bids by the DEC, Division of Environmental Remediation.
- Brownfields Legislation - Summary of 2008 Brownfield Reform Legislation
- Environmental Cleanup Success Stories - These success stories highlight a wide range of reuses that will greatly improve New York's economic and ecological landscape.
- Federal Brownfields Tax Incentive - Information on Federal Brownfields Tax Incentive. Under Section 198 of the IRS code, eligible expenses can be fully deducted in the year incurred.
- Toxic Release Inventory - Information on toxic chemical releases and other waste management activities reported annually by certain covered industry groups as well as federal facilities.