Wastebed B/Harbor Brook IRM East Wall Portion Completion Report
The WBB/HB site includes Harbor Brook, the Lakeshore Area, the Penn-Can Property, the Railroad Area and two additional areas of study (AOS) as shown on Figure 1.1. The Order on Consent, effective November 25, 2003, required an IRM to address migration of site contaminants into Harbor Brook and Onondaga Lake. The East Wall project included construction of a subsurface steel sheet pile barrier wall and groundwater collection trench from the eastern terminus of the West Wall, crossing Harbor Brook and extending northeast along the lakeshore for a distance of approximately 1,150 feet.
The primary objective of the East Wall project is to contain contaminants in the shallow and intermediate groundwater regimes within the site. The sheet pile barrier wall serves to contain impacted soils and prevent migration of potentially contaminated groundwater and non-aqueous phase liquid (NAPL) to Onondaga Lake. The groundwater collection trench was constructed inboard of the sheet pile barrier wall. The trench captures impacted groundwater along the length of the wall from the shallow and intermediate hydrogeologic units. Groundwater is pumped to the Willis Avenue Groundwater Treatment Plant. The East Wall construction also included rerouting a section of lower Harbor Brook in order to complete installation of the barrier wall.
The specific IRM objectives, as presented in the Order on Consent, are as follows:
- Eliminate, to the extent practicable, within the scope of this IRM, the discharge of
contaminated groundwater and NAPL into Harbor Brook and Onondaga Lake.
- Eliminate, to the extent practicable, within the scope of this IRM, the potential human
health and ecological impacts associated with site constituents of concern
- Eliminate, to the extent practicable, within the scope of this IRM, potential impacts to
fish and wildlife resources associated with on-going discharges of contaminants of
concern from the site.
The East Wall construction was completed in accordance with the remedy selected by the NYSDEC in the Order on Consent and included the following components:
- Temporary re-routing of a section of lower Harbor Brook including backfilling of the
former Harbor Brook channel
- Replacement of the downstream culvert located in Harbor Brook
- Installation of a sheet pile barrier wall from the eastern terminus of the West Wall
crossing Harbor Brook and extending northeast along the lakeshore for a distance of
approximately 1,150 ft.
- Installation of a groundwater collection system along the barrier wall to achieve
- Grading and backfilling of portions of WBBSite restoration
Wastebed B/Harbor Brook IRM, East Wall Completion Report- May 2014
Wastebed B/Harbor Brook IRM,East Wall Completion Report- May 2014 (PDF) (50 pages, 739 kB)
Appendicies are available in the repository