Study Area - City of Corning, Steuben County
Corning Incorporated has entered into an Order on Consent with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) to characterize the nature and extent of fill material in the Study Area, which is bounded by Pyrex St., East Pulteney St., Post Creek, and the Chemung River. NYSDEC has established this web page to provide the public with information on the investigation activities.
Public Involvement Activities
Corning Incorporated prepared the following plan as required by NYSDEC to help the public stay informed:
- Citizen Participation Plan (PDF) (3.3 MB)
NYSDEC held public meetings and availability sessions about the project in July and October, 2014.
- Power Point Presentation from October 2014 Public Meetings - Study Area - Project Update, City of Corning (PDF) (1.14 MB).
- Power Point Presentation from July 2014 Public Meetings - Study Area, City of Corning (PDF) (487 KB).
- Work Plan Addendum No 1 - Additional Field Investigation Activities - October 2014 (PDF) (2.3 MB)
- Groundwater Wells Proposal - October 2014 (PDF) ( 2.1 MB)
Additional public meetings will be held at later stages of the project as necessary and will be announced here.
Document Access Information
Information regarding access to other pertinent documents not linked to this page is provided below.
NYSDEC Fact Sheets
The links below provide access to a Fact Sheet prepared by NYSDEC; and, a Questions and Answers document prepared by NYSDEC and the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH).
- NYSDEC Prepared Fact Sheet - October 2014 (Text)
- NYSDEC Prepared Fact Sheet - October 2014 (PDF) (237 KB)
- NYSDEC Prepared Fact Sheet - June 2014 (PDF) (430 KB)
- NYSDEC/NYSDOH Joint Questions and Answers - June 2014 (Text)
- NYSDEC/NYSDOH Joint Questions and Answers - June 2014 (PDF) (194 KB)
Work Plan Documents
- Study Area Characterization Work Plan (PDF) (1.55 MB)
- Study Area Characterization Work Plan - Appendices (PDF) (1.1 MB)
Complete copies of the documents listed on this web page and other documents pertaining to the Study Area Characterization, are available in hard copy for public review at the following locations:
- Southeast Steuben County Library
300 Nasser Civic Center Plaza
Corning, NY 14830
Region 8 Office
6274 East Avon-Lima Rd.
Avon, NY 14414
Contact Linda Vera for an appointment
Additional information regarding the Study Area Characterization project may be obtained by contacting NYSDEC's Avon Office at 585-226-2466 or NYSDEC's Albany Office at 518-402-9814. Also, a link to to pertinent information from Corning Incorporated regarding the Study Area Characterization is provided in the right column.
More about Study Area - City of Corning, Steuben County:
- Study Area - NYSDEC/NYSDOH Questions and Answers - Answers to common questions about the Study Area, City of Corning, Steuben County prepared jointly by NYSDEC and NYSDOH
- Study Area - City of Corning - Fact Sheet - October 2014 - Preliminary Findings at the Study Area Bounded by Pyrex Street, E. Pulteney Street, Post Creek and Chemung River