Study Area - City of Corning, Steuben County
Corning Incorporated has entered into an Order on Consent with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) to characterize the nature and extent of fill material in the Study Area, which is bounded by Pyrex St., East Pulteney St., Post Creek, and the Chemung River. NYSDEC has established this web page to provide the public with information on the investigation activities.
Project Divided into Five Operable Units
The project has been divided into five operable units as listed below.
An operable unit (OU) represents a portion of a remedial program for a site that for technical or administrative reasons can be addressed separately to investigate, eliminate or mitigate a release, threat of release or exposure pathway resulting from the site contamination.
The original Study Area project being evaluated by Corning Incorporated under Consent Order with NYSDEC consists of OU1 though OU4. The off-site Expansion Area being evaluated by NYSDEC under the State Superfund program is OU5.
- OU1 - Residential Area: The primary residential area including Houghton Park and excluding OU2. It is bounded by school properties to the south, NYS Flood Control lands to the east, East Pulteney Street to the north, and Pyrex Street to the west.
- OU2 - Residential Area at the Eastern End of Corning Boulevard
- OU3 - School/Community Use Areas: Properties owned by the Corning-Painted Post School District, Corning Christian Academy, and the City of Corning (Memorial Stadium and land in front of the firehouse).
- OU4 - Flood Control Areas: The southern and eastern most portions of the Study area including flood control structures, levies, and adjacent portions of the Chemung River and Post Creek.
- OU5 - Off-site Areas: The off-site Expansion Area consisting of the residential areas immediately to the north and west of the boundaries of Study Area. The Expansion Area is further bounded by I-86 to the north, Centerway (NYS Route 414) to the west, and the Guthrie Medical Center property (Potential Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Site No. 851051) to the south. See Study Area Expansion Area Map (PDF) (350 KB).
Public Involvement Activities
Corning Incorporated prepared the following plan as required by NYSDEC to help the public stay informed:
- Citizen Participation Plan (PDF) (3.3 MB)
NYSDEC held public meetings and availability sessions about the project in July and October 2014, and March 2015.
- Power Point Presentation from March 2015 Public Meeting - Study Area - Project Update, City of Corning (PDF) (593 KB).
- Power Point Presentation from October 2014 Public Meetings - Study Area - Project Update, City of Corning (PDF) (1.14 MB).
- Power Point Presentation from July 2014 Public Meetings - Study Area, City of Corning (PDF) (487 KB).
Additional public meetings will be held at later stages of the project as necessary and will be announced here.
Document Access Information
Information regarding access to other pertinent documents not linked to this page is provided below.
NYSDEC Fact Sheets
The links below provide access to a Fact Sheet prepared by NYSDEC; and, a Questions and Answers document prepared by NYSDEC and the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH).
- NYSDEC Prepared Fact Sheet - July 2015 (PDF) (1.56 MB)
- NYSDEC/NYSDOH Joint Questions and Answers - March 2015 (Text)
- NYSDEC/NYSDOH Joint Questions and Answers - March 2015 (PDF) (444 KB)
- NYSDEC Prepared Fact Sheet - October 2014 (PDF) (237 KB)
- NYSDEC Prepared Fact Sheet - June 2014 (PDF) (430 KB)
- NYSDEC/NYSDOH Joint Questions and Answers - June 2014 (PDF) (194 KB)
Work Plan Documents
- Study Area Expansion OU-5 Work Plan (PDF) (864 KB)
- Study Area Characterization Work Plan (PDF) (1.55 MB)
- Study Area Characterization Work Plan - Appendices (PDF) (1.1 MB)
- Work Plan Addendum No 1 - Additional Field Investigation Activities - October 2014 (PDF) (2.3 MB)
- Work Plan Addendum No 2 - Additional Field Investigation Activities - May 2015 (PDF) (1.5 MB)
- Work Plan Addendum No 3 - Additional Field Investigation Activities - March 2015 (PDF) (1.5 MB)
- Groundwater Wells Proposal - October 2014 (PDF) ( 2.1 MB)
Complete copies of the documents listed on this web page and other documents pertaining to the Study Area Characterization, are available in hard copy for public review at the following locations:
- Southeast Steuben County Library
300 Nasser Civic Center Plaza
Corning, NY 14830
Region 8 Office
6274 East Avon-Lima Rd.
Avon, NY 14414
Contact Linda Vera for an appointment
Additional information regarding the Study Area Characterization project may be obtained by contacting NYSDEC's Avon Office at 585-226-2466 or NYSDEC's Albany Office at 518-402-9814. Also, a link to pertinent information from Corning Incorporated regarding the Study Area Characterization is provided in the right column - "Links leaving DEC's Website".
More about Study Area - City of Corning, Steuben County:
- Study Area - NYSDEC/NYSDOH Questions and Answers - Answers to common questions about the Study Area, City of Corning, Steuben County prepared jointly by NYSDEC and NYSDOH