Nonpoint Source Guidance and Technical Assistance
Best Management Practices (BMPs) are measures determined to be efficient, practical, and cost-effective to guide a particular implementation activity to address sources of nonpoint pollution. Nonpoint source BMPs are specific practices or activities used to reduce or control impacts to waters from nonpoint sources, by reducing the loading of pollutants from such sources through storm water runoff and infiltration into surface and ground waters.
Listed below are the categories of BMPs that the NYS Nonpoint Source Program has adopted in the "Management Practices Catalogue for Nonpoint Source Pollution Prevention and Water Quality Protection in New York State" (Catalogue), with links to each BMP category. In general, each BMP document summarizes practices that prevent or reduce nonpoint source pollution from that type of activity, and may serve as a guide to select appropriate management practices to implement watershed projects to restore or protect waters.
- DRAFT Agricultural Best Management Practice Systems Catalogue (PDF) (902 KB)
- Construction Management Practices Catalogue (PDF) (4.4 MB)
- Hydrologic and Habitat Modification Management Practices Catalogue (PDF) (2.7 MB) - (addressing nonpoint sources including eroding stream banks, scouring or filling flood control channels, excessively high or low flows from reservoir releases, or insufficiently circulating water impoundments).
- Leaks, Spills and Accidents Management Practice Catalogue (PDF) (1.8 MB) - (addressing chemical and petroleum bulk storage facilities and transportation)
- Marina Operations for Existing Facilities (PDF) (1.5 MB)
- Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems Management Practices Catalogue (PDF) (4.2 MB)
- Resource Extraction Management Practices Catalogue (PDF) (3.0 MB) - (addressing mining and well extraction of minerals, aggregate and petroleum)
- Roadway and Right-Of-Way Maintenance Management Practices Catalogue (PDF) (1.6 MB) - (addressing transportation and utilities right-of-way management)
- Silviculture Management Practices Catalogue (PDF) (1.6 MB) - (addressing forest resource management).
- Urban/Stormwater Runoff Management Practices Catalogue (PDF) (4.6 MB)
The New York Nonpoint Source Program also has approved additional BMPs and control measures to supplement this catalogue. These will be identified, with individual links, in Appendix A of the 2014 New York State Nonpoint Source Management Program.