New York Environmental Leaders
New York Environmental Leaders (NYEL) program provides recognition and incentives to businesses and organizations that are committed to sustainable practices and conserving New York's environment and natural resources. To become a member, businesses and organizations must demonstrate that they have a good record of compliance with environmental laws and regulations, a system in place for managing their environmental impacts, commit to future environmental performance improvements, and have a public outreach plan in place. Members are located throughout the state and you can see a description of each one, along with their commitments, on our Members Page.
Through NYEL, members are undertaking numerous innovative projects that reduce their environmental footprint and demonstrate that strong environmental stewardship and increasing the bottom line go hand in hand. Examples of projects carried out under NYEL include:
- Delaware North is saving 7,500 gallons of diesel fuel by switching from a national brand of hot dogs to a local one.
- Anheuser-Busch will be saving 190,600 lbs. of aluminum per year by introducing a new lighter weight can for their products.
- IBM's Thomas J Watson Research Center will be eliminating 4,200 lbs. of Styrofoam waste by banning it from their dining facilities.
- Locust Hill Country Club will be training the next generation of sustainable golf course superintendent's through their successful internship program.
- Xerox - Webster Campus will save 8.53 million gallons of water per year by minimizing once through cooling and installing flow meters throughout their facility to detect and repair leaks faster.
If you are interested in becoming a member of NYEL, visit our Becoming a NYEL Member page.
August 2015 - We'll be holding a webinar on how to fill out a successful NYEL application on Tuesday, September 29th from 11 AM to Noon. Register on NYS ITS registration site. [https://meetny.webex.com/meetny/onstage/g.php?MTID=ec72006b3a28a00fbaca8cea9c0eda99f]
August 2015 - We are pleased to announce the beginning of our 2015 Open Enrollment Period. Applications for NYEL membership will be accepted from September 1st to October 31st, 2015. To learn more, visit our Becoming a NYEL Member page.
July 2015 - We're proud to announce that Xerox - Webster Campus has renewed their membership in the Leadership Tier and that Global Foundries Fab 8 has moved from the Entry Tier to the Leadership Tier! Learn more about their commitments on our Members Page.
April 2015 - We've recently accepted our newest members to NYEL. Learn more about them and the projects they are undertaking to green their operations on our Members Page.
More about New York Environmental Leaders:
- Becoming a NYEL Member - Open enrollment dates, program requirements, and applications.
- Information for NYEL Members - Important dates, annual performance report requirements and forms; and member renewal application information.
- NYEL Members - List of NYEL members and information on their commitments.
- New York Environmental Leaders (NYEL) Guidance Document - Information for applicants on the operation of the program, membership requirements, and criteria the Department will use when evaluating potential candidates for the program.
- CP-40 Commissioner Policy on New York Environmental Leaders (NYEL) - Commissioner Policy authorizing the creation of the New York Environmental Leaders program.