Draft Revisions to Regulations for the Bulk Storage of Petroleum and Hazardous Substances - Preliminary Drafts for Public Consideration
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is providing Preliminary Drafts for Public Consideration of revised Petroleum Bulk Storage (PBS) and Chemical Bulk Storage (CBS) regulations for comment by stakeholders. DEC will be revising these regulations regarding the handling and storage of petroleum and hazardous substances to reflect changes in state and federal laws. These drafts are being provided to help inform stakeholders and to identify any major issues to be addressed before the draft regulations are formally proposed. DEC will receive informal public comments on these drafts between August 1 and September 20, 2013 as described below.
These Preliminary Drafts for Public Consideration represent Phase I of a two-phase rule making process. Phase II will occur once the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) finalizes their rule making process currently underway to revise the federal regulations governing the storage of petroleum and hazardous substances in underground storage tanks (Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 280-281). Phase I of the DEC rule making accomplishes three goals:
- revise the regulations so they reflect changes made to state and federal laws, particularly regarding the requirement for facility operator training and the ability of DEC to prohibit deliveries of petroleum and hazardous substances to tank systems that are in significant non-compliance with the regulations;
- consolidate existing state and federal requirements so that they are all in the state regulations; and
- increase the consistency between state and federal regulations, particularly regarding key definitions and the structure of the regulations.
Issuing these Preliminary Drafts for Public Consideration provides additional opportunities for public participation in the rule making process and for DEC to obtain informal public comments before the draft regulations are formally proposed and published in the NYS Department of State's State Register.
- Webinar and Public Meeting: Information about a public webinar and public information meeting to get more information about the draft revisions to the regulations.
- Submitting Comments: Information about how informal comments may be submitted to the DEC.
- Background: History of laws, regulations and information about the PBS and CBS programs that explains the main events leading to these draft revisions to the regulations.
- Changes to New York Bulk Storage Regulations: A summary of the revisions under consideration to the PBS and CBS regulations with links to detailed descriptions and the Preliminary Drafts for Public Consideration that are available for public comment.
If you need additional information to understand the bulk storage regulations and program, the following links may be helpful.
- Current DEC Bulk Storage Regulations
- Current USEPA Bulk Storage Regulations (See "Links Leaving DEC's Website" on the right menu of this page)
- USEPA Proposal to Revise 40 CFR Part 280 (See "Links Leaving DEC's Website" on the right menu of this page)
- DEC Bulk Storage Program Information
- USEPA Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program Information (See "Links Leaving DEC's Website" on the right menu of this page)
Subscribe to Bulk Storage Mailing List
DEC's Division of Environmental Remediation maintains an email list for those who would like to receive information regarding DEC's petroleum and chemical bulk storage programs. This mailing list is used only by DEC so you will only receive information from DEC. To subscribe, sign into GovDelivery and enter your email and other information requested. When you get to the list of topics, click the box next to "Petroleum and Chemical Storage" under "Prevent and Control Pollution."
More about Draft Revisions to Regulations for the Bulk Storage of Petroleum and Hazardous Substances - Preliminary Drafts for Public Consideration:
- Webinar and Public Information Meeting - Information on public webinar; public information meeting; and subscribing to Bulk Storage mailing list.
- Submitting Comments on Informal Drafts - Information about how informal comments may be submitted to DEC.
- Background on Laws and Regulations - History of laws, regulations and information about the PBS and CBS programs that explain the main events leading to these draft regulations.
- Summary of Changes - Summary of changes being made to the PBS and CBS regulations with links to detailed descriptions and the Preliminary Drafts for Public Consideration that are available for public comment.