New York Recycles Fact Sheet
What is New York Recycles?
It is our way of promoting recycling and buying recycled in New York State. New York Recycles will culminate on November 15. Events take place all year and culminate on November 15.
How do you participate?
All you need to do is:
- Recycle the materials in your local community recycling program, and recycle at school or work. To find out what your community recycles, call your local recycling coordinator or call us at (518) 402-8706 . Call us if you need information on starting a recycling program at school or work.
- Look for products and packaging made from recycled materials. Examples are:
- Recycled paper products like paper towels, napkins, tissues, toilet paper, office paper (adding machine rolls, business cards, file folders, dividers, spiral notebooks, printing paper, message pads, etc.), greeting cards, wrapping paper and etc.
- Recycled plastics like clothing (yes, clothing...t-shirts, sweaters, sleeping bags, etc.), plastic bags, patio furniture, carpeting, playground equipment, and etc.
- Many products and packaging you buy are made from recycled materials and you may not even know it, like:
- Many cereal boxes are made from recycled paper.
- Metal cans are made from recycled metal.
- Many glass bottles are made from recycled glass.
- Aluminum cans are made from recycled aluminum.
- Newspapers are made from recycled newspapers.
- Cardboard boxes are made from recycled cardboard.
What else do I need to do?
Just recycle more, buy recycled products and fill out the pledge card. Also try to find ways to reduce your waste - precycle (not making garbage to begin with).
Why do I need to fill out a petition card?
By filling out the pledge card, you promise to try to recycle more, buy products and packaging made from recycled materials and are entered into a State drawing.
What is the State drawing?
Each year New Yorkers take the pledge to recycle more and buy recycled products! New York State conducted a random drawing from individuals who voluntarily pledge to recycle more and buy recycled.
Just fill out the pledge card and mail to:
New York Recycles!
Albany, NY 12233-7253
and remember to recycle more and look for recycled products and packaging.