Revising a Label
Application Requirements and Forms
There is no fee for submission of revised labeling applications. All applications for a revised label must include:
- Complete revised labeling application form (PDF, 658 KB). Instructions are on the form;
- Paper copy of the proposed final product label. Label changes must be highlighted or listed in a cover letter;
- A compact disc containing the proposed final product as a .pdf file;
- One paper copy of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) stamped "accepted" label and/or notification(s) used to prepare the proposed label, if applicable.
Time Frames for DEC Review
|Label Category||DEC Approval Required Prior to Distribution?||Maximum Days for DEC to Determine Acceptability*|
|Non-notification||No||30 (if submitted**)|
*From receipt of complete application.
**Non-notifications do not require Department approval prior to distribution. However, non-notifications submitted to the Department will be reviewed for acceptability within 30 days.
How DEC Categorizes Label Revisions
The Department classifies revised labels into one of the three following categories:
- Amendment - The changes on the proposed final product label are associated with a USEPA stamped "accepted" label. One or more subsequent USEPA notifications may have also been used to produce the final product label.
- Notification - The changes on the proposed final product label are based solely on a USEPA notification. These changes must comply with EPA Pesticide Registration Notice 98-10 and any other applicable guidelines, which can be found at http://www.epa.gov/PR_Notices/#1998 (NOTE: Leaving DEC website).
- Non-notification - Minor labeling changes that do not require notification to USEPA. Such changes include:
- Correcting typos;
- Revision, addition or deletion of non-FIFRA related label elements;
- Changes in net contents that do not affect other label elements;
- Changes in the name or address of the registrant on the label;
- Redesign of label format;
- Change in fertilizer analysis;
- Change in establishment number.